Diagnosis
10/2003
Country
CA
State
On
City
NW of Toronto
A friend of mine was watching this show last week and at the end they said that they were looking for an ALS patient that needed a home makeover. I didn't see it but they saw it on ABC and got the address of the producers for me. Lock and Key Productions c/o Family Casting PO Box 38670 Los Angeles, Ca 90038. I think they only do renovations in the US. It might be worth a letter or phone call for our American members. Hope it helps someone we know.

That would be wonderful Al if they could help one of our members from America.

Sandy.

If someone from the US is interested in a makeover I'm all for helping to support that persons effort to get on the show.

I think it would be a wonderful miracle and opportunity for anyone with ALS in the US - I admit it, I'm a big fan of the show and think anyone suffering with ALS could really use their help - they go beyond the call of duty to ensure the house fits the needs of the occupants.

If enough of us write and ask for their assistance you may have a very good shot at being chosen!

--------------------------------------------

If you are thinking you would like to make an attempt at being chosen let us know - I'll post information about writing the producers of the show and will make sure to have everyone I know write to the producers on your behalf :)

Last edited:
makeover

Hi David, We rent half of a duplex but it does not suit my needs right now let alone the future. We don't need or want a large house, 1,200 sq. feet with a basement would be big enough. I would be so blessed to have the home I need. My husband runs his store 6 days a week attends Tai Chi class 3 days a week and 9 months of the year he also teaches Tai Chi in the evening. He is my caregiver also, running himself ragged, our home is not a tidy as we like it, he can't keep up. I love him so much and pray that something will change for the better soon. There are others in worse situations but I live my own and wouldn't turn down a new home.
Thanks for your time, Sarah

I think in order for the show to come and do a home, you have to own the home. There is a family in my town who qualified, and the show will be coming to "make over" their house, but they are home owners. (The little girl has cancer). We had looked into contacting the show for a different family that attended the school I used to work for, but when we contacted them, they said you had to own your home and not rent or lease. Maybe the rules have changed though, or maybe they do different homes for different circumstances. I think it would be great if someone from our forum could be blessed with a well equiped home to meet their needs. It sure is worth looking into. So far, my family is very fortunate because we have been able to afford to make the accomodations that dad needs to his house. I know not everyone is that fortunate.
Dana

From my knowledge you are correct Dana; the goal of the show is to help the ones in need; if the house is rented the long term benefits would be to the home owner, not the actual people they intended to help. This "rule" certainly doesn't benefit Sarah or people in that circumstance, and for that I feel bad. Individuals that rent and lease are in just as much need as those that have afforded to purchase a home - in some situations there may even be a greater need.

Lifts, ramps etc are expensive as we all know, and these products go a long way to helping improve the quality of life; a show like "Home Makeover" could easily have the best equipment provided free of charge just for the advertising opportunity the show provides. Perhaps when the home was no longer needed the items or home could be passed along to the next person in need. An altruistic thought, but one that I think anyone in this situation would give serious consideration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back