05/1987
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ontario
Hi there,

I'm 29 year old male, I have been diagnosed with health anxiety but i do have neurological symptoms that concerns me.

1. Twitching all over my body for more than 2 years. Saw a neurologist two years ago and he said not to worry about it. Didn't know about ALS back then until the ice bucket challenge. I can see the muscle jumping with my naked eyes, random places on my body.

2. The other day, I had suddenly weakness with my index finger and thumb, had a little trouble using a nail clipper. I've had that happened from time to time for couple minutes over the years but strength returns when I relax and focus on something else. This symptom is gone now, I have full strength now with index finger and thumb but now I'm obsessing and strength testing my fist and overly aware. I work on computer 8 hours a day, not sure if I'm using the mouse too much or what. I just had a kid so I've been holding her a lot and it is causing soreness in my whole hand not sure if that can cause it.

Any advice

I see the word Fear twice (in your username and in the subject) which led me to believe you had anxiety before even opening your post.

If you hadn't heard of ALS through the Ice Bucket Challenge, would you attribute your symptoms to another cause? If it's been two years since you've seen a neurologist and are seeing new symptoms, have you considered making an another appointment?

My first observation would be that recently have a child can cause a lot of stress, anxiety, etc. I don't see ALS in your symptoms myself.

Hi Fearful

Twitches can be caused by lots of things including anxiety. With this illness the symptoms don't get better, once you lose a function it is gone strength does not return. So the fact that the problems with your index finger comes and goes points away from ALS. Talk to your doctor about your symptoms but I don't think you need to be fearful of ALS.

Wendy

Switch mice for a while (trackpad vs. regular mouse, etc.). And find hand exercises on the Net. There is no ALS in what you have said.

Best,
Laurie

I think I'm going to get off the internet/forum now. I went to my doctor and he insisted not to refer me to neurologist after doing some basic assessment. I think I have to be logical and will stop here. He is not concerned at all with the twitching.

I've had twitching for over 2 years and I've had that weakness feeling long prior(years) to twitching and it comes and goes. I think it's more perceived weakness and I can still push my fingers together really hard during the period, it is just a feeling.

Anyways, thanks for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back