Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
When you needed larger doors, where did you find them? I don't want a barn door because it's for my bedroom and it won't work with the layout anyway. What I really need is a 40" pre-hung. Does anyone know if such a thing exists? I could probably do a 36" with no trim, but it's tight and right now I have great hand control, but later won't. Suggestions? Thank you!

I had my bedroom door widened to 32” plus added the special hinges that add an extra 1 1/2” to any door space. SWING-AWAY DOOR HINGES CAN SAVE MONEY

Another option to explore are pocket doors.

I find I can fit my Permobil F5 even through non-widened standard door spaces if I slow down to the slowest possible speed. It might be difficult for people using head controls, but that’s where widening to 34” or more helps.

Sometimes the surrounding walls need to be reconfigured and the door reframed. If you have the time and money, it’s worth it.

I had a 48 inch double door that is normally used for closets installed to my new to me bedroom, it allowed me to not have to reconfigure the hallway. It was pretty tight for the space, but worth it. I have 36 inch doors everywhere else, but I just had my swing away hinges come in, to be installed. There is a sharp turn on the entry door, and I hit the jams a lot, even though it is a 36. A 40 inch door is going to be a custom door...

I took my walk-in closet door off and left it at 30 inches. I widened the other doors to 36, except for my home office. It's 30 but I can still get the PWC through. If I added a hinge (see Karen's post) it would probably be OK. I'm fortunate not to have tight turns in my condo. Before I added a larger island top I rode the PWC throughout to see if adding a couple of inches would make it hard to get around. It didn't. The remodeling was very expensive but this place has a lot of older folks waiting for 3/3 condos so I figured the resale would be good for Fred.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back