External Catheter at Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's hope tomorrow gets better. :) Al- you are too frisky to be kept indoors. I hope mike's tips send you back out in the world. just don't mow the lawn. :-D cindy

No more lawn mowing for me. Content now just to watch it grow. Well not really content but puttiing up with it.
LOL.
AL.

I'm sorry AL. This disease makes people adjust constantly. Wish it were different. Cindy

Hi Al,

This is the one I use.

crystalkk,

Yes, unfortunately this only works for men.

Mike

I contacted this link that Mike gave and they are sending out a free sample for me try out. I think that is a great idea before committing to one product, check it out to see if it actually works. Thought some of the others might want a free sample.

God Bless
Capt AL

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you guys might be getting serious about trying this, so I thought the following ino might be helpful:

I have been wearing a condom catheter 24/7 for several years, and very
rarely experience a leak. The type of catheter, and applying it
properly are crucial. I need to graphically describe some things, so if
you are disturbed by frank discussions of anatomy, you should stop
reading.

I use Hollister Extended Use Catheters. These caths have an inner flap that prevents urine from coming into contact with the adhesive (when applied correctly). There are a couple things that are important in reducing leaks. First, the
penis must be perfectly clean and dry before application. This requires
a few minutes of air drying after the area is cleaned and towel dried.
It also means the person installing the cath can't have any residues
from cream or lotions on their hands. Second, when installing, the head
of the penis must be pushed firmly against the inner flap with the
urethra fully visible through the hole. This prevents urine from
dissolving the adhesive.

For more info about the convenience of a condom catheter, see the
article on my website
<http://quadbliss.com/travel.htm#Condom_Catheters

I hope this helps.

Mike

Hi MJ
Just to add what I have experienced is they saved a whole lot of accidents from happening .Robin was getting very weak to stand and had fallen a few times trying to go,someone told me to look for external cathaters. I found them the first batch a got a little to big but once I found the right size he has had no problem and wears them 24/7 .Sometimes if he has had a restless night it will come off .All I know is I'd rather clean him up then have to pick him up or have him hurt himself . Just try them they are great
God bless all
Judy

So what about us ladies? Are we consigned to adult briefs? And do they work well enough?

Don't know if it would travel well; but, thanks for trying.

Wow you would think some inventor would come up with something better than that. I guess it's better than nothing, or depends, but not by much.

God Bless
Capt AL

From some of my work in the hospital, I remember a urinary diverter for women as well. I don't whether you can get them readily or not, but Here is the link to that. Anything that stops another Foley cath is a win in my book :D

OK Ladies- we've got our research cut ut for us! If anybody wants to be a guinea pig (or pigette) and test these items send me a PM and I’ll subsidize the cost of the items. Cindy

Anyone have any suggestions for removing self adhering external catheters? That adhesive seems resistant to everything: warm wet facecloths, Wet Wipes . . . more than a few moments of panic . . .

Are some brands 'stickier' than others?

Do you have to change the Hollister extended use ones every 24 hours or can they be used for longer?

I don't have any trouble removing my father's every day. I bought Hollister, non latex, with short "sheath". There are many kinds, and some are stickier than others. You could call your supplier (like Allegro Medical) and tell them the problem you are having. They should be able to give suggestions.

Also, since my dad is not circumcised, it's different than what Quadbliss was saying, at least for my father. If the head of the penis is visible when putting on the catheter, then when the skin comes over to cover it in the penis' natural state, the catheter comes right off--not what you want to have happen. Each person probably has to figure out what works best for them. Definitely no lotions or creams in the near vicinity! Sorry for the graphic language!

Don't worry about the graphic language. We're all adults. These are the things that we need to talk about. The docs and nurses don't know much about this stuff and if they do they don't talk about it. It's great that this thread got started. I'm to the point where I either don't drink the days I go out or I really have to be choosy about where I go. This just may allow me and others more freedom.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back