Experiences with mullein leaf tincture for lung health?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErinandJen

Reason
CALS
Diagnosis
03/2018
Country
US
State
WA
City
Seattle
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here has used mullein leaf tincture (or any other variants of mullein) to manage secretions and general lung health. If you have, what effects did it have for you?

My partner Jen is a PALS with a trach and has thick secretions (even when she's sufficiently hydrated), congestion, and occasional coughing fits. I've been doing some research on plant medicine, particularly mullein leaf, and found no contraindications with her current medication, so I asked her doctors to look into it as well. They had never heard of it, but they did their own research and gave a green light for me to dose her.

I've given her 12 drops in water once a day between meals for a total of four doses (missed a day here and there so it has not been entirely consecutive; also, mullein should not be taken in excess or daily for extended periods of time). The last two days I have not given her any and I have noticed in that time she has experienced more mouth secretions than usual that frothy. It reminds me of what happened when she tried taking payapa enzyme. I have not noticed any change in her lung secretions. I'm going to hold giving her any more mullein tincture to see if that goes away.

Since I can't really go to her doctors for their experience, I'm hoping someone here might have tried this, too, and could share its effects on them.

Thanks!
Erin

Welcome Eric,

My husband was home trached/vented for four years so I know what it's like trying to figure out how to resolve respiritory issues. We never tried mullein and have never heard of it before so I can't answer your specific question.

When you say you were trying to resolve thick secretions, were you referring to lung secretions? If so, we used Musinex to thin the bronchial secretions and a cough assist to get them out. Are you using a cough assist? Kate

Erin,

I've used it in tea, to no effect. It does have a positive enough reputation for lung/ear issues, that if it helps, why not? There does not seem to be data on interactions, though, so particularly if Jen uses other flower-based preps, I would watch for signs of cross-allergy like hives, and because of its family, be cautious if she uses any anticoagulants or NSAIDs or other substances that can "thin the blood."

A sad but warm welcome to our ranks; let us know if/how we can help. Feel free to introduce yourself further in the CALS forum.

Best,
Laurie

Last edited:
Hi Erin and welcome.

My husband has been trached and vented the past 8 years. I have not heard of using Mullien either. I may look into it.

Happy you found us, but not happy why you had too.

Hugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back