Experience with USAA and accelerated death benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlsdMama

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
05/2017
Country
US
State
IA
City
Cedar Rapids
We have two policies - one through my husband’s work for $250k and another through USAA for $500k. The ADB through USAA has the 12 month stipulation. I was wondering if anyone has worked with them?

I was diagnosed PLS shortly after getting the policy. I flipped to ALS in October via EMG. Headed to Mayo tomorrow for the second opinion and respiratory testing. I was limb onset and slow but the last 3-4 months, it feels like everything is accelerating and hitting my resp. We have nine children still at home so the ADB would be so beneficial for modifications and a wheelchair van. I do already have my power chair - just no accessibility to the outside, bedroom, or bathroom. Smh.

Are you service-connected yet for ALS? If not find a PVA who will file your claim for you. Among the benefits afforded to you will be a specially adapted housing grant. At this writing the grant is approximately $90,000. A mortgage insurance is offered with the grant. It will directly pay up your mortgage up to $200,000. Once you figure out your VA benefits you may very well decide to hold off on accelerated death benefits so your family will have their full value later on.

I’ve used USAA services and insurance for a long time and have always found them to be extremely helpful.

Are you service-connected yet for ALS? If not find a PVA who will file your claim for you. Among the benefits afforded to you will be a specially adapted housing grant. At this writing the grant is approximately $90,000. A mortgage insurance is offered with the grant. It will directly pay up your mortgage up to $200,000. Once you figure out your VA benefits you may very well decide to hold off on accelerated death benefits so your family will have their full value later on.
I’m not. My husband is the veteran. I was along for the ride. I posted here because with it being USAA, I figured a lot of our PALS used them for insurance and might have experience.

For anyone else, I called them today and asked them to send me the forms. We’ll see.

Good luck then. I’m also a military spouse so along for the ride too. Too bad VA benefits aren’t the same for spouses and covered by Tricare. Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back