Diagnosis
04/2008
Country
US
State
VA
City
Harrisonburg
Anyone have any experience or advice about doing exercise after a PEG installation? Following a lifetime of exercise and much walking, I have been continuing walking, yoga, stretching, and some strength exercises since ALS diagnosis in March 2008. I am now tapering off a bit, experiencing some weakening and fatigue. But the crunches, sit-ups still feel good, and I believe might keep the diaphragm and chest muscles strong. Anyone?

Thanks!

I was at an ALS Symposium last week and exercise was a topic. New studies have shown that moderate exercise, stretching and range of motion exercise is beneficial to patients. I would think that as long as there was no pulling on the PEG tube you should be OK.
AL.

Last edited:
After sit-ups, some problems

:confused:
I tried some sit-ups after about two-and-a-half weeks. At first felt OK, though doing much less than I used to. But then after about 5 days of moderate exercise, started getting some ooze and raw red flesh is protruding maybe one quarter of the way around the stoma. No foul odor or bleeding. Taking it easy now for a few days!

Not too worried, but anybody got any advice?

Sit ups are not considered moderate exercise. I would think they are a definate no no after a PEG. Better ask the doc before any more. Bet he has a coniption fit.
AL.

Avoid sit-ups after PEG install

:neutral:
Surgeon said it would be OK: "Listen to your body!" Well, my body says ROM and stretching will be OK in a few days, but lay off the strength efforts.

Right now am taking a few days rest. It should heal OK.

Thanks Al!

I was at an ALS Symposium last week and exercise was a topic. New studies have shown that moderate exercise, stretching and range of motion exercise is beneficial to patients. I would think that as long as there was no pulling on the PEG tube you should be OK.
AL.

I agree totally with AL.
Sit ups, can cause considerable internal damage. Be very careful, my friend. Until the Doctor OK's it I would stick with the stretching and range of motion exercise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back