12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
as if I need one more problem!
the yawns which are really spasms come all the time now when I'm awake. My mouth opens wide and then violently snaps shut. Mostly the top teeth smash bottom lip which is swollen and nearly bloody. Other times my teeth hit and I'm surprised it hasn't broken a tooth. Or I bite my tongue. Painful and annoying!

any ideas? I hate to wear teeth guard like football player but this getting old.

have I mentioned that als sucks big time

Med allergy?

Some common meds, even antidepressants, can cause movement disorders.

Couple of years ago, I took a diet pill for a few months, then quit. In the years afterward, my mouth has been hyperactive, biting, sucking, grinding all day and night. So inquire into your meds and supplements.

I have this exact same thing happens to me. I am thinking something like a mouth piece like boxers wear. It keeps the tongue and lips out of the way.

Hth,
Brad

this is another awful and cruel part of ALS :(

If you can tolerate a mouth guard it will definitely allow you lip and tongue to heal, but these are painful and slow.

A review of your meds could help - baclofen if you take it or some of the other meds for spasticity. Possibly it can be reduced with these. So sorry, I too hate this cruel monster.

I hate it when 4-5 of those one more thing hit me at same time

Getting worn out!

Love ya all
Chally

it feels at times like the left side of my jaw bone is going to rip out the inside of my left ear

then my mouth fills with saliva that i choke on

my yawn spasms comes in groups of five or more. Now I have Swollen bloody lip. Going to have to try mouth guard.

hurts like hell! Hate to be taken down by freaking bloody lip.

we all hate it with you Kay - look at the mouthguard as telling ALS to go jump

Youre not alone. I yawn in groups of 4-5 and its coupled with burning tears.

ah yes the burning tears, like acid in your eyes, once it starts its hard to get it to stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back