Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
ga
City
columbus
Has anyone experienced excessive tears? My husband isn't crying - but in the AM and late at night he has streams of tears pour out of his eyes.

Hi,it sounds like he could have a condition called dry eye an optition can diagnose this.
I have had it a couple of years,i noticed my eyes would stream........when tired,or things set it off like had decorating done and they used gloss which made my eyes none stop water for days.
The surface of the eye is dry (sometimes my lids stick to my eye ball)this makes the brain go into overactive mode so eyes water but its false tears so does not lubricate eye ball..........all this told to me by optition.
so they refer you to gp to get eye drops .
check with an optition first,simple test i think he just blew some air on my eyes or something.
Hope that helps.

my son and myself get it now and then was never able to pin down why sometimes i think it is an allergy of some type

When it happens to us then we're "leaking".

Dear Deer, I think it's just a cute way they explaine that it's just a thing. Not related to ALS.

It happens to us both when we are overtired. I say "I have to go to bed now...I'm leaking".

I joined this site to try to get useful information in trying to deal with my husband's illness. So far all I have gotten is comments that pretty much dismiss my concerns. I don't need it.

thier are very good threads with lots of info , look for the kind you like that are of most of intrest to you and skip the rest

His tears are not due to ALS.

I asked if any other people experienced this - his doctor has already told him that it is possible that the weakening facial muscles are causing it.

Hi deerhunter.
Sometimes we don't know the answers or you recieve answers you don't want.
We are all different and have our own quirky symptom no one else has.

I did give you a perfect explanation as to the cause which i do suffer from sometimes quite badly.
As for your husbands cause being down to his als that is something we can not comment on if his neuro said this but from my years of knowledge i have never heard a pal complain of this as a als symptom.
Maybe his neuro is thinking its the als causing it as it does in excess saliva...........thats possible.

we are not doctors or neuros so we dont always have the answers,all we can do it answer as to what we know or experience.

I have heard of many pals getting goopy or crusty eyes especially in the morning. I know my husband does. don't know why but I figure it is something going on because of ALS. Could be the leaking is due to weak face muscles --who knows. My husband had very salty sweat and tears for a while --I have heard of pH imbalance because of the dying nerves which maybe cause the excess salt...

I would not discount that it is ALS related, but why exactly or what to do---hmmm...maybe rinse his eyes with a pH balanced eye wash for tired eyes at night?

Or if you think it's a serious concern... check with his doctor. We share what we know here... but as often as possible we do it in as lighthearted a way as possible. It's a way of not letting the disease swallow everything we hold dear.

Deer, as Olly said, it's also possible he's suffering from overly dry eyes. Did the neuro check his eyes, or was it just his answer to a question?

It seems from the PALS here that it isn't a common issue, so it may be an issue with a helpful treatment. For instance, if you notice it happens in the AM and PM when you wash his face is it possible it's a reaction to the soap you use?

Is it only happening in one room in the house, such as the bedroom? Is he on a bipap that could be irritating his eyes (mine water from my bipap for instance)

You'll notice that doctors are quick to lump everything as being ALS related, and it's just not always the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back