Diagnosis
12/2011
Country
US
State
NC
City
Anytown
My husband has a lot of saliva and drooling even though he is taking several medications to control it. He needs to keep something in his mouth all the time. After trying several things including paper towels, wash cloths, etc. we are now using infant socks (with a high cotton content). They are a good size, absorbent and can be laundered. Only problem there are not many masculine colored infant socks (need the really small ones) but he looks good with the ones trimmed in pinks, lavenders, etc. :D

Brilliant! We've been using hand towels ("Have you got your cloth?" is a phrase heard before we get out the door, everytime!) but I love the idea of infant socks! Fall is going to be the only time of year that I'm thinking you can get "manly" colored ones. You could also really get him into the holiday mood with some turkey or reindeer socks! Wonderful idea!

Are you using the atropine drops? It certainly doesn't cure the problem, but does make it more manageable.

We have tried the Atropine drops but did not notice much improvement. Some things seem to make things better for a while but then stops working. I think it is definitely a trial and error process.

Hi alador,
Welcome to our world...what has worked better is Bo tox or mec li zine.... Like infant socks... We use wash cloths!

Jen

Hi,
I agree that it takes trial and error to see what works best for you. My father has tried the scopolamine patch, atropine, and amitriptyline. For him, the patch and amitriptyline made him feel "out of it". The atropine drops have an awful taste so we bought cola syrup at the pharmacy and a dropper to mix with the atropine as suggested by the pharmacist.
He recently got botox in his salivary glands but it seems that it has made the secretions thick and sticky. He describes the phlegm/mucus now as being the consistency of a gummy bear.
Still searching for a remedy for the the phlegm/mucus complication.

Karen

Hi,
Amitryptiline made a big improvement in my case.10 mg tablet in morning & 10 mg tablet in evening.

Best wishes,

Mohan.

What a good idea, I'll tell my friend about the baby socks. Thanks for the idea.

I've started amitriptyline recently--haven't noticed any difference in the drooling problem, but it helps me to sleep better.

I hate to be a complete dunce, but how are the baby socks used?

Last edited:
He keeps a baby sock in his mouth to absorb the drool. His mouth seems to leak all the time.

Thanks, Alador. If I had gone back to the first post, I would have known. Best wishes to you and your hubby.

Rog wants to go back to the Botox, even with the gummy sticky saliva. He added more water to his diet and it seemed to help with that. The me cli zine is not real effective...

Jen

My husband has atropine drops and hyocine patches , it helps for a while but not long enough , xxx

My wife has had Botox, sticky saliva; atropine drops, sometimes we drop too much or too little; hyocine patches, too dry and now she take 10mg of amitriptyline in the morning and a med call rovinal in the late afternoon and then again about 10. That seems to be her favorite and works the best.

My mom began taking amitriptyline which helped a litte, she also uses the sea sickness patches which have made a difference. We use a suction machine quite often throughout the day too.I hope you find something that works!

Rog wants to go back to the Botox, even with the gummy sticky saliva. He added more water to his diet and it seemed to help with that. The me cli zine is not real effective...

Jen
I use mucamist (acetylcystiene) because of thick gooey saliva from burned up salivary glands from radiation. When it gets too bad I take a swig from the bottle. It root rooters me out. Warning it is not a good taste but helps thin it out all the way too the intestines. A nebula zee works but not as long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back