Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
My Dad (PALS) does not take anything in by mouth. He takes an OTC medication (guaifenesin) to help breakdown phlegm as well as a prescription medication to reduce saliva.

The Saliva seems to be under control but the phlegm is still a problem. He goes back and forth between the cough assist and suction machine but he gets uncomfortable. It can take a while for it to come out while he struggles to cough and gags on the phlegm.

What else can we do? He currently does not use an NIV.

Does anyone else have this problem??? I want to make sure I covered all my bases before telling him that there is nothing we can do to help

Sorry you have this issue. It is not uncommon. Do a search here and see if there is something you haven’t tried. Aside from what you have done and hydration pineapple juice is helpful but may be bad for the tube

Pineapple juice through a PEG helps with phlegm? How is it bad for a tube and would mixing it with water help?

I spoke to a nurse about a humidifier. He said he doesnt think it helps much. Do PALS here say it helped?

Humidifiers aren’t going to be a miracle but still worth doing. A little help is better than none. I think pineapple is supposed to help because of an enzyme but I have heard of damage to the tube. That your dad does not need!

Yeah I agree. Ill look into a humidifier thank you. Any particular recommendations?

Sometimes the CoughAssist aggravates the irritation of phlegm, so I would test that possibility. It is like sometimes if you have a little scratch in your throat -- if you cough or huff too much, it gets worse. But if you wait a few minutes, it goes away.

Here is another thread with tips.

Does anyone here have experience with Ridgecrest Clearlungs Extra Strength
Found on amazon? I saw it mentioned on Reddit but I want more opinions on it first. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back