Not open for further replies.

Sammantha

Country
Uni
State
NC
City
Newport
Hello PALS, first of all i would like to say i have not been diagnosed with ALS, that being said i need some advice or help. The ALS clinic i go to had a physical therapist that showed me some excersizes to keep my joints from stiffening up and my lower back. Well i can no longer do them because my tailbone, hip, and leg bone stick out so much it hurts to do them..... Now, swimming i love. Not only am i able to maneuver and bend and do pretty much anything in the water i do not have pain because there is no pressure on my bones.... The only thing is i do not have a swimming pool and can only swim outdoors in the summer...... I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, i would like to join a local gym that has a pool but the fee is so much...... Please respond to some ideas because excersize makes me feel so much better pain wise... Thanks, Sammantha

Ps. i went back to my GP and told him that there was no definitive EMG saying i had muscle wasting even though you can see it, especailly on my left side. He took a look at my hip and shoulder and the bone sticks out so much it looks like i have a cyst or tumor. He asked if i had been hit there and i said no, it slowly progressed. He sent me for x-rays which showed normal bone.

Sam,

Will your local gym just let you pay a fee to use the pool.
Do you have a local Y sometimes the fees for them are much cheaper than the gym.

taxpayer

In NJ, taxpayers are permitted (certain nights, etc.) to use schools in your township, municipality, in the evening, as long as life guard on duty. Call around to your area.

Thanks for the advice.... I went to school in Northern New York and we had a pool, now i live in the south and it sounds terrible but the kids are lucky if there classroom is not in a trailer, so no there are no pools..... I was talking to my grandmother and she said "See now if you lived up here you could go to the school's pool and excersize!"

We are a small area so no Y, but the weather is starting to warm up and luckily i can swim down here from may to october... So there is always a good side.... I wonder how YWCA's get started because maybe we can start one up around here, hmmm if you know how please let me know...... Thanks, Sam

I don't know how long it takes you to get to Cape Carteret, but there is an aquatic center there. Plus, some of the resorts have day passes for local residents and many of them have indoor pools.

Pool

Oh my gosh, how did you know about that! I thought it was an aquatic center that was for gym members.... Cape Carteret is only 25 minutes from me, and i am going to call them right now! Thank you so much!

I spend part of my summers in the Morehead City area and have for the past 17 years, so I know my way around your area fairly well. Does the aquatic center work for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back