Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New England
City
Anytown
I don't know if there is help for what is going on with me lately. I cannot seem to get enough sleep. I am just too tired to move most of the time. I stay in bed all weekend and sleep during my lunch breaks and go to bed the minute I get home. I expect to lose weight soon because, given a choice of sleep or eat, I choose sleep. I use a CPAP at night and have had apnea for years. THis feels different. With apnea I feel refreshed after a nap. Now I just need another nap. I even dread the weekends because my family wants to do stuff. Last Sunday I entertained company while lying flat on the sofa.

Anybody experience anything like this? Cindy

Yep...........

Time for a sleep study I'd say. Maybe Cpap needs to be traded for a Bipap. That's what happened to me.
AL.

I guess I thought I'd feel SOB if I needed a PIPAP.

Sometimes but not always. You might not be getting rid of the CO2 as you sleep. Do you wake up feeling a little headache as well?
AL.

That's what I was thinking, time to retitrate your CPAP to a higher pressure or go to BiPAP. (I don't deal with this personally with my husband, but work in a sleep lab).
Ashley

I do have a headache all the time! Thanks AL and Ashley. I just had a sleep lab test done in May but feel like I never recovered from that Saturday we spent at the Cape 2 weeks ago. All I did was a little walking around. :( It certainly wiped me out! Thanks for the tip. Cindy

My husband had no shortness of breath & no headache in the mornings but was exhausted all the time. At the last clinic his CO2 levels were high (55) and he was sent for a sleep study the following night and was on a Bipap the day after.

Unfortunately all the masks he has tried leak and thus every two hours the mask starts its chorus. So now we are both exhausted. But we hope for another mask this week.

I have a Res Med Ultra Mirage full face mask. It works for my sort of large (hat size 7 1/4) round head and face.LOL.

I am like that, i have always been a sleepy person since i was a kid....But about three years ago i started to fall asleep while driving, or when i would sit down at work i could not keep my head up......I would have my eyes half closed and would already be dreaming! I have never had a sleep study but i take provigil for fatigue, it does not make your body feel better, but it does turn off the transmitters that say say "you must sleep now!" So now i can rest my body without sleeping the day away and i dont fall asleep at work when i am sitting..... I only take one a day, so that by the time i get home i am sleepy.. If it take it in the afternoon too, like i am suppose to i have a hard time falling asleep at night... The best thing about it, is for me it had no side effects and beleive me i am allergic to everything! There are no heart palputations or hormone changes because it does not affect that part of your body, it deals with the brain and its transmitters....... I highly suggest it....

Hi Sam- I have fallen asleep at odd times for years. At the sleep lab they found I am borderline narcoleptic and have apnea. But the CPAP always worked. Interesting that they did not send you to a sleep lab. Cindy

Hi Cindy I was feeling that way as well, and I started B12 shots every two weeks and I diffently feel the difference However, I think it is time for you to reevaluate your breathing maybe a Bipap will help. Take care Pat

Cindy,
Mom in law has a Bi-pap, but we think we'll need to re-adjust soon. She's been doing well for a while, but every now and then, she can't seem to catch her breath. Hopefully, she just needs a pressure adjustment. I hope yours is that simple. Take care. Tom

sleep lab

Hi, Cindy...... I told my doc for years about my severe fatigue and sleep issues, i even left his offic in tears because i was scared of driving and falling asleep... He chuckled and said that i could come in for vitamin therapy injections... That was that..... I feel like if i dont freak out and throw a temper tantrum that docs think i am there just to chit chat or something..... Seven years ago i got the depo shot and almost blead to death because i had a bad reaction... I called my gyno at the time and told them how i was bleeding a lot and they were like, oh thats normal you'll be okay.. Then my husband found me passed out and i had to have an emergency DandC to stop the bleeding, the doctor said that if i had gone another day i would have had to have a blood transfusion.....Do men deal with this kind of nonchalent/indifferent attitude from doctors too? I wonder?

Cindi, Others have said this, but I'll add my 2 cents. Get sleep study and ABG test (arterial blood gasses) to get a thorough idea of what is going on. If the carbon dioxide level is rising in your blood, this can cause severe fatigue and it is critical to do somethign about it as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back