Exaustion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Holly and Sam and everybody! I have one more question: would high carbon dioxide levels cause constant headache and nausea? I can cure the nausea with anacids but the headache never goes away.

Sam- that's an awful story about your doc's insensitivity. Hope you found a better one by now!

Thanks everybody for all your help. Cindy

Last edited:
Hi Cindi, All I know about this is anecdotal from my dad's experience. He did have some stomach upset, but that may have been from adjustment to the PEG tube feedings and/or some dehydration after a widespread power outage in the region and having to eat baby cereal mixed with cold water and have non-warmed feedings with the tube. I have heard that headache can be a symptom of elevated CO2 levels. My dad did not complain of this, but he rarely said anything about pain, even when clearly injured (like after tripping and banging his head on a brick wall). He had a tremendous pain threshold, and if he said something hurt, we knew for any of us it would be excruciating. His main symptom from the co2 excess was exhaustion.
Maybe I am way off here, but I think this could be serious enough that you need see your doctor ASAP. Maybe it is something else (low iron anemia comes to mind?), but if your symptoms are caused by elevated CO2 it means you need breathing assistance because your lungs are not effectively getting a full breath out. ALS affects people in different areas of the body in a variety of progressions. My dad lost breathing ability before he had completely lost mobility in his legs and arms. I know you don't have a diagnosis yet, so it could well be the cause is something completely different, but I guess I get freaked out when I hear about increasing exhaustion because of losing my dad so quickly when he experienced this. Sorry if I'm ranting and being unreasonable here. Holly

Holly-your post made me teary-eyed. thank you for caring so much and so sweetly. I've made up my mind to call the doctor tomorrow. Maybe there is some benign explanation!Thanks again, Cindy

Cindy, If you have had excessive daytime sleepiness and headaches prior to weakness, MND symptoms you might look into myotonic dystrophy. It shares some of the sx of ALS (weakness, spacticity, cramps, wasting, slurred speech) but also daytime sleepiness, headaches, gall bladder issues, etc. Just a thought.

Gina

Headaches and nausea are warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, so it makes sense that too much carbon dioxide in the system can cause this problem. Can doctors check blood oxygen levels? Would that tell if someone who had ALS had too much carbon dioxide in their lungs?

Hi Sammantha,

O2 and CO2 levels are two different things, although they often correspond. Low O2 means you are not bringing enough oxygen into your body. High CO2 means you are not sufficiently expelling gasses from your lungs. There is a blood test for CO2.

Mike

Well I went to the respiratory therapists yesterday, on my own, with out a referral. She checked my CPAP to see if it was working properly (I'd dropped it and thought that might be a problem.) I now have another type of CPAP which will adjust the flow according to my needs, and measure both intake and out take. She said if I didn't get rid of the headache and nausea to call my doc right away. But after using the new CPAP last night I do feel better. Not completely out of the woods, but better. So I am going to give it another day.

Funny, I used to hate going to the docs because it once was a waste of time. Now I don't want to hear what they may have to say. But don't worry guys- I know I can't put it off forever!:-D :-D Cindy

Sammantha said:
Hi, Cindy...... I told my doc for years about my severe fatigue and sleep issues, i even left his offic in tears because i was scared of driving and falling asleep... He chuckled and said that i could come in for vitamin therapy injections... That was that..... I feel like if i dont freak out and throw a temper tantrum that docs think i am there just to chit chat or something..... Seven years ago i got the depo shot and almost blead to death because i had a bad reaction... I called my gyno at the time and told them how i was bleeding a lot and they were like, oh thats normal you'll be okay.. Then my husband found me passed out and i had to have an emergency DandC to stop the bleeding, the doctor said that if i had gone another day i would have had to have a blood transfusion.....Do men deal with this kind of nonchalent/indifferent attitude from doctors too? I wonder?

Yes we do. It really hurts when one of the docs is your own son. My son has been an ER Doctor for over 6 years now and he still says I do not have ALS. Even though the muscle biopsy proved I do. The neurologists said I do and it is progressing as expected. He's still in denial. I can understand that.

He expects me to jump up out of this wheelchair and go work on his car, go fishing or whatever. Out of touch with reality.

I had one neurologist years ago tell me that I should study the mystics in India. They could control pain with their minds. Time for a ball bat adjustment doc? :-D

God Bless
Capt AL

Hey MT- your son can't deal because he loves you. My sister said this weekend that she expects Mom to pull through and get up out of bed any day now. Hospice, however, says it is time to call the out of state relatives.

When I read Mom's correspondences, I found out how much sis loved and relied on the Mom who is now so fragile. Sis is in denial, and I bet your son is too! Cindy

I have the same problem with my mom and daughter They insist I cant have ALS I guess they are in denial because they love me and they are scared Pat

I was in denial for 2 weeks, until I went with my dad to the doctor, viewed all the test results, abnormal EMG included, and saw the fasciculations all over my dad's body...arms, back, legs, neck. I could see for myself how weakened his muscles had become for the last several years. He had been told it was osteoporosis, because it started in his neck and back. This never squared with me, because his bone scan didn't confirm that. I thought for 2 years it was a muscle/structural injury from a fall he'd had, I just hadn't thought about motor nerve damage being the root cause, and had never heard the term ALS before in my life. It might help if your family members can hear about the illness directly from the doctor.

Cindy, I am really glad you went to the respiratory therapist with no dinking around trying to get a prior referral from a GP. It sounds like your new CPAP will help solve the problem. Yeah! That's great. You had a sense it was breathing related and you were right. Don't hesitate to go back right away if you have any more difficulty. Holly

THanks Holly. It feels great to wake up in the morning ready to get out of bed! Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back