Loved one DX
Country
PT
State
Algarve
City
Faro
a friend of mine did send me this article
Evidence for Fungal Infection in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Brain Tissue from Patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

Abstract of that article

Among neurogenerative diseases, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a fatal illness characterized by a progressive motor neuron dysfunction in the motor cortex, brainstem and spinal cord. ALS is the most common form of motor neuron disease; yet, to date, the exact etiology of ALS remains unknown. In the present work, we have explored the possibility of fungal infection in cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and in brain tissue from ALS patients. Fungal antigens, as well as DNA from several fungi, were detected in CSF from ALS patients. Additionally, examination of brain sections from the frontal cortex of ALS patients revealed the existence of immunopositive fungal antigens comprising punctate bodies in the cytoplasm of some neurons. Fungal DNA was also detected in brain tissue using PCR analysis, uncovering the presence of several fungal species. Finally, proteomic analyses of brain tissue demonstrated the occurrence of several fungal peptides. Collectively, our observations provide compelling evidence of fungal infection in the ALS patients analyzed, suggesting that this infection may play a part in the etiology of the disease or may constitute a risk factor for these patients.

full article
Evidence for Fungal Infection in Cerebrospinal Fluid and Brain Tissue from Patients with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis

I dont know if you already discuss this on other Thread in this forum, but i would like to know every one's opinion, especially from doctor's opinion.

this opens a new breach in the fight against ALS, the possible of fungi treatments.

Are there some common point between ALS and fungi, more specifically between our immune system that fights fungi and ALS?

questions:
- is it normal to have traces of fungi, or rather, fungal infection in the cerebrospinal fluid in healthy people? and if so, what are the predominant symptoms? and which kind of fungal species?
-Are there some common point between ALS and fungi, more specifically between our immune system that fights fungi and ALS?
- Does different species of fungi have to do with different rates of disease progression?
- Is there some specific analysis or examination to see what types of fungi are present?
- And possible treatments for fungi, will be beneficial to halt the progression of ALS?

You've posted twice now regarding fungi and have asked questions.

But we have no clue who you are or why you're asking.

How's about you go to the new members section and tell us why we should give a damn...

You've posted twice now regarding fungi and have asked questions.

But we have no clue who you are or why you're asking.

How's about you go to the new members section and tell us why we should give a damn...

Hello, I'm Pedro. I'm from Portugal. My mother was diagnosed with ALS Bulbar on september 2014 after about 8 months looking for answers. Since a few months ago i have been a guest and i have learn a lot about ALS from this forum and others. I'm doing a lot of resource and join all together and try to take conclusions. through that and with neurologists my mother has been adopt some tratments that has stable a little the progression. but even that is not enough. but now, a few days ago, i dont know if it is new to you, but for me it is, an article saying that are evidence about fungal infection in ALS pacients, and i didnt see that anywere. Could all of you help me on that? my mother is dying and i must do more to help. it is been not enough.

So now Im growing mushrooms in my head?

I do have a fungus between my toes, and in the creases of my pubic mound.....I wonder if it could be related to my MND?

Tim is very prone to fungal infections, and am presently treating it under his 2 great toes nails, between toes and must watch all warm moist areas like axilla, groin and even in his beard. HHHH

MMMMMM?

Geez, I thought I already gave the poor guy enough crap...

Pedro, I think this is the first we've seen regarding any correlation between fungus and als.

But be careful: there is no end to the 'miraculous cures' and people who hope to make money off of our disease.

Could all of you help me on that? my mother is dying and i must do more to help. it is been not enough.

Pedro I'm so sorry about your mum's diagnosis.
All the PALS here are dying honey.
My husband died already from ALS, I had to accept that it would kill him and it did. I gave him high quality care and loved him right the way through and kept him comfortable and he had a good, peaceful death.

We can't help you stop your mother dying - this is a terminal disease with no cure. I'm sorry but maybe you should see a counsellor to get help coming to terms with this as it is the hardest thing to accept, I know!

My Chris battled so many external fungal infections, more information than most of you want!

Pedro we can't comment as doctors on the link you gave, we are just ordinary people coping in an extraordinary situation.

Thank you all for your quick reply without exception, especially from affected (Tillie) for the comfort of your words and your sensitivity.
sorry to have brought this research to the discussion of this forum, it is a very technical and recent article, and I did not want to hurt feelings, especially the nature of the forum where I've learned so much.
So, To forum's Administrators, do as you please, whether it is better or not close this thread.

the article is not to sell me anything and do not taking immediate conclusions about origin and type of fungus, is only saying that patients with ALS have traces of fungi in the cerebrospinal fluid. and that makes me think.
is it normal to have traces of fungi in the cerebrospinal fluid, having ALS or not? yes or no?
It is a simple question that we will put to the doctor at our next visit. Maybe you could ask to your doctor to. but if someone here in the forum know the answer, I would be very grateful. this research does not speak in external fungi, or in athlete's foot or nail, or in mold. only check some kind of inflammation in the cerebrospinal fluid, likely from micro fungi (1 μm in diameter) that are there and they were not to be there. whatever their nature or where they come from.

so again I leave this simple question in the air: is it normal to have traces of fungi in the cerebrospinal fluid, having ALS or not? if I find an answer I'll reply here if the forum do not mind.

Best regards and I wish the best to you all
Pedro

This was a small study so I do not think the answers can be given by anyone with any certainty. It seemed like ALS patients had findings controls did not but no one can say if it is more generally true or merely chance. Maybe the next set of people would have the reverse findings. Who can say? Further even if it is true, is it a cause or a consequence? Would fixing it matter at all? Someday they may be able to answer those questions for you but not now, not soon. Wishing the best for you and your mom

I could not agree more with you Nikki, I share the same opinion. this is a new thing, still no one refuted this investigation but no one denied as well. and the question remains: what if it's true? It is a valid hypothesis as any other. at least I have done my part to help advertise one possible way. I hope that the researchers can understand each other now, because from here we will not get anywhere since we aren´t researchers. I just hope it's not another path to dead end just like the others paths.

there must be a way to cure this bloody disease. and I thought this could be the way. another dead end, unfortunately.

I would say, not being a researcher or neurologist, that as a first small study it isn't a dead end yet, it is a beginning and it may takes years to follow through with other studies.

Taking cerebrospinal fluid samples is not part of the diagnostic process, nor is it something that is done to our PALS as a routine during the disease at all.

For this reason, we couldn't really answer and say whether our PALS had any fungi present.

I wouldn't think the thread should be closed or removed, it's a valid question, even we can't answer it.

Mostly, our early replies revolved around you introducing yourself as it is hard when someone just comes and makes a first post on some new topic like that and we have no idea who they are. It does happen that people come, post something without an intro, and they never return, so we ask for more.

Now you have done your introduction we can continue in that thread or any others you join in on to give you support :)

Tillie, I'm not so sure about the spinal tap not being part of the normal work up, I had one and I've seen mention of others.

But I'm not sure how fungi would be found and I suspect that a culture (vs chemical and microscopic analyses) is needed.

Also, had a spinal tap (per my request) to check for every infection they could think of including Lyme (the spinal fluid is the best I know for this). My wife has had me tested for fungi, and many vitamin deficiencies all with no results significant enough to explain ALS.

This disease ravages us and our loved ones. I hope a cure or even a reason why it happens would be found, but do not expect to live long enough to know of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back