Diagnosis
07/2013
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
As someone who participates in various online ALS forums (ALS forums, PatientsLikeMe, Facebook) it strikes me that most people (judging by profile photos) participating in these forums are Caucasian. When I’ve gone to my ALS clinic (Sunnybrook in Toronto, Canada) and attended a few ALS support group sessions, I’ve also found that there were few people of color. It was my understanding that ALS affects people of all ethnicities relatively equally. Is this not so, or are people of color just not participating in these online forums?

I was wondering: what is your ethnic background? I am Japanese Canadian. I was born in Toronto and my parents were born in Vancouver, but they are of Japanese descent.

>I was wondering: what is your ethnic background?

American-born Oregon, Norwegian Austrian grand parents

Interesting question

Ashland, Oregon born here too. According to Natl Geog Geno project, I'm 40% North Europ, 40% Southern Europ, 2% Native American and only 1.3% Neanderthal. The EU split makes sense, as I'm 3/8 German from near Cologne.

How 'bout them Ducks in the Rosebowl, Max? I'm wearing my Oregon sweats I got for Xmas. Can't wait for Oregon to finally beat Ohio State.

I have seen one Hispanic PALS.

>only 1.3% Neanderthal

>How 'bout them Ducks in the Rosebowl, Max? I'm wearing my Oregon sweats I got for Xmas. Can't wait for Oregon to finally beat Ohio State

don't know ... as much as I hate osu, I think it will be close and exciting. Of course, w/ Harbaugh on board, we should be back in the action -- I hope we get espn and big10 network in the afterlife :)

i will put it this way. on my daddy side jermamoe on my mommy side general custard. don't ask me what happen there.

Complete american mutt

African American FALS family here

Just read studies that the incidence of having ALS is significantly lower in blacks, Hispanics than in Caucasians. You can google this.

A map of the English isles and a little bit of Viking. Redhaired and green eyed.

>Redhaired and green eyed.

:)

My family is Irish with a little Dutch and Mohawk.
Vincent

Hungarian/ukranian

English (some Scottish) and Polish

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back