01/2004
Country
US
State
ca
City
sant barbara
Good morning,

I'm a caregiver to my Dad who has ALS. I'm also a student and I'm working on a research essay for my Technical Writing class. I have to choose some type of technology to research and write about. I'm interested in the ERICA system and how it enhances the lives of people that have ALS. I wanted my Dad to try using it but he has always been resistant to new things. However, I know that there are many people with ALS that do use ERICA and I was hoping that some of you in here would be in that group. I'm curious if it works as well as it should and what things it enables you to do. Is it as amazing of a thing as it looked like when the patient on ER had it? I saw that episode a long time ago and was fascinated but didn't know what it was called until I started to search.

I would love to hear how it works for anyone who is using it. My paper isn't supposed to be biased but is supposed to be about researching a technology and determining if it actually does what it claims. Does it? :)

Thanks!

Sandy

Wow,
Freddie is like the spokesperson for ERICA, they have done numerous articles on him and ERICA....go to his website and you can see the articles and stuff about ERICA, Freddie also uses this system to continue to make music. His last c.d. "Fire of Faith" was used to produce and record this...p.m. me and I will give you my phone number and can talk with you about this eye gazer system...
By the way Freddie's website is www.freddieeverett.com he also has a "My Space" that tells about ERICA and I believe some "You Tube" stuff as well besides him playing that guitar....Oh how I miss him playing, that is what feeds his soul. That is why we got ERICA was to allow him to continue life, it truly was the reason that he did get trached and vented. USA Today did a huge article about Freddie and ERICA. It is a wonderful device for Freddie. More than anything it allows us to communicate. He uses it a night to let me know when he needs something. It runs 24/7. It also allows you to do all of the things you would on a pc. Call me and I will tell you alot more about it.....................

On another note
You hanging in there and resting....I hope so Please know that I do think of you and your family on a daily basis....That baby has to come soon.............Full moon on the rising.....Look in the sky tonight...............LOts and Lots of HUGs!
Your Friend,
netty

eye gaze communication

Hi califsand,

My mom has been using the MyTobii P10 for about three months. What an incredible gift this has been to our family! Mom is finally able to make her needs known and be involved in the conversations going on all around her. She is also able to e-mail and instant message with friends and family. We researched the eye gaze devices on the market and found the MyTobii to have the best reliability and ease of use. I would be glad to give more details of the unit, if you wish. Tobii has a great website that further explains the various devices...

www.tobii.com

Hope this helps.

That is awesome Netty! I didn't realize that he uses this system and I'm so excited that he has it! :)

Grizzy, is the product that you mentioned the same product as the ERICA one? I don't know much about this yet, obviously, but am limiting my research to just one product. I think that ERICA fits the criteria and it interests me a great deal so I'm going to pursue that one specifically.

Thanks ladies!

Sandy

Tobii

Sandy,

Tobii happens to be one of a very few eye gaze providers. Eye Response Technologies (they make the ERICA) and LC Technologies are the other two I am aware of. I can only speak from personal experience with the Tobii. Good luck with your research and if I can be of any help, let me know!

Hi Grizzy,

You're awesome, thank you! :)

Sandy

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble finding unbaised info on the ERICA system so my paper has expanded to being about all types of eye tracking communication devices. I need help! If you use any of those systems, or have a PALS that does, and are willing to help me by providing some insight on your experiences with them and how well they work or don't work, I would REALLY appreciate it! I definately need help!

Thanks,

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back