Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Lindenhurst
Well, two saturdays ago Jen and I took an ambulance ride to the ER for respiratory distress. The next day while in the hospital for pnuemonia her mucous filmed over her airway and not me nor the nurse nor the on call respiratory doctor could clear the airway. They intubated her right there in the room. Two days after that she had a tracheotomy and has since been transferred to an intermediate care facility for weaning off the ventilator. Lots of anxiety on ALL parties as she did not remember the talks we had in the two days between intubation and surgery. One piece of advice I would give everyone is talk about these things before they happen. It felt like life decisions were made without Jen's input.

This is all happening so fast I can hardly keep up with it. Thankfully the twins were with grandma when everything happened at home.

Any advice on post Trache operations and tactics would be much appreciated.

Not the start to the Holiday's we were hoping for but the last couple of days have shown positive signs.

Peace to all.
Dave

Peace to your family too Dave and I hope you get all the help you need and deserve.
Love, Cherry.

Oh Dave, How awful for you and Jen to have this experience. Did she want a trach? Why are they weaning her off of it? JoelC has wonderful information on his blog here about a trach. Please know that even though I don't have any advice and I can not help physically, I am sending hugs and comfort to you and yours. Kay Marie

Dave,

I am so sorry that you guys had a traumatic couple of days and that things happened so suprisingly fast. You give excellent advice about discussing your wishes before the situtation arises from your first hand experience. I hope she is able to be weaned from the ventilator as appears to be your plan and the trach helps her manage those secrections much more comfortably.

Dana

I am sorry to hear about your experience! Yes, it is a very good idea to discuss these things well in advance. I have always been an advocate of planning early.

Why try to wean off the vent? The vent makes breathing so much easier and so much less stressful.

Can I answer any questions for you?

Hi Dave-

I do not have any info to offer about trache, etc., but have read your earlier posts about your wife and two young children. My heart goes out to you. Your family is in my prayers.

Sandra

thanks to all. the weaning is a necessary "step" towards a rehab facility and home. at least that is what they are telling me. The doctors indicate that they cannot move her to a rehab facility until she can be off the vent for 12-16 hours a day. They want her to stay on it to sleep as a precaution but not use it during the day...not sure yet on reasoning? anyone. She has Bulbar Onset with "rapid progression" if that means anything?

Joelc - any info...i think i can get private PM's but the info would probably be beneficial to oters at some point. To date....they tried the valve to allow her to speak today with little result. they said that the intubation probably inflamed the vocal cords and will continue the effort daily. She does seem to breathe better but has the sensation that she is choking...the dr's assure me she is breathing fine but that does not seem to ease Jen's mind, i can only imagine.

I really am not sure what to say.

She is not in prison so they can not stop you from taking her home. But it will mean 24/7 care, this only means she can't be left alone. It is a lot easier than you think to look after someone with a trache and vent. Once on a vent it is not reasonable to try to wean someone off.

Is she choking on food or aspirating? I was talking within 18 hours after getting my trache, but I could talk before. My trache tube is what they call a cuffless so there is no problem and I don't need a talking valve. I had my trache done by someone who has done many so there was minimal recovery time and no problems at all. For me it is extremely comfortable letting the vent take care of my breathing.

There is a lot more information on my website, if you go to the Content Index then look for Tracheostomy you will find my complete story. http://www.LifeWithALS.com

Don't hesitate to ask specific questions.

Thanks Joel, She had lost most of her ability to speak before all of this happened so we had already started the voice augmentation CPU process. She hadnt had anything by mouth since August so it was secretion and aspiration issues.

Not sure why they are weaning her but i will find out tonight. Thanks for the link I will read it with Jen this evening.

Dave,

The following info is offered from a different perspective to help you ask questions and get the answers you need for your wife's care and to make decisions.

I use to work for an acute care rehab facility and it is one of 2 facilities outside of acute care hospitals in this region that will accept individuals on ventilators. The other facility is a LTAC (Long Term Acute Care facility) that specializes in ventilator/respiratory management or chronic/complex medical issues. I am not sure if your wife is at this level of care or not. Many people on ventilators are transferred to LTACs rather than rehab to be weaned from the ventilator or to train caregivers to manage the ventilator for home use.

The admissions to the rehab facility are evaluated closely because the lack of committed 24 hour caregivers and problematic placement (translated to mean expensive) if the caregiver backs out given the limited alternative level of care facilities that would accept a ventilator. The local nursing facilities (sub acute long term care) in this area will not accept individuals on ventilators. The closest facility is over 2 hours a way and has a waiting list that can take years. Thus the screening process includes making sure that 24 hour care is in place and back up/alternate caregivers are available and trained.

Another reason acute care rehab facilities screen patients closely on ventilators is the facilities are required to provide all inpatients 3 hours of therapy 5 days per week. Not everyone can tolerate this much therapy. Some ventilator dependent individuals are admitted for a ventilator teaching stay that last for about 2 weeks and concentrates on teaching and evaluating for home equipment, supplies and modifications as needed. They will also help you tap into local emergency medical and community resources in case of power outages, etc.

So assuming acute rehab and then home is the goal, I would call the rehab facility directly. Ask them if they accept ventilators and what are the requirements. Ask if she can not be weaned to the point of just being on the vent at night, would she be able to come to the facility for ventilator home management training combined with physical rehabilitation. Keeping in mind a person with ALS should not really be pursuing an overly aggressive physical rehab but rather one that is tailored to her needs to help her gain back what she can, maintain her range of motion and learn adaptive techniques to maximize her ability to help in her care. If they are willing to work with you then you can outline for them your commitment to 24 hour care at home potentially on a ventilator and designate who your backup is and that they are also willing to learn ventilator management.

Next, I recommend you start learning the ventilator and trach care at the facility she is now. This demonstrates that you are seriously going to do the care and give you much more leverage. Over time, you may very well learn what you need at this facility and could take her home from there.

Also learn what type of home health/respite programs are available where you live.

I think I have rambled on enough but would be willing to offer suggestions as needed/if wanted.

Dana

WOW! Thank you Dana for that info! Very detailed and explains a lot!

Great info Dana! It truly seems like the cumination of what ten different doctors told me pieces of.

I believe we are moving today to the Rehab Institute of Chicago, they only have two vent beds but told us we can have one of them to start the two week "home training" program.

I will know more by the end of the day. Thanks again to all. JoelC great info on your website as well.

Dave

Your Welcome Dave.
BTW - RIC is one of the top rehab facilities in the country. She will be in great hands.
Good Luck!
Dana

Dana-

I found that info extremely helpful as well. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back