Diagnosis
02/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
McEwensville
I think a subforum on equipment reviews and suggestions would be handy. Someplace where CALs and PALs can share their thoughts on different assistive technology. I am currently researching home modifications and have looked at the ERICA system because of what I've found written here but there is a lot more out there. No barrier showers, bidets, power chairs and pointing devices right of the top of my head. This could be a moderated forum so that all reviews follow a specific format and contain certain information or simply a guideline with a post as you please. As an aside if we generate enough talk about equipment it may come to the point where we get offered a free one for review purposes. A long shot I admit but then again 1 out of 100,000 seemed pretty big to :)

Hey Jeff,

I think that is a great idea! I've been researching for my husband and to have category for devices would be great.

We'll ask David. On a similar note, the ALS house being set up in Massachusetts will have great new technology in every room. As soon as they set a date for an open house I'll drive over and check it out. Cindy

I just wanted to bump this because of the recent posts requesting info on lifts, cushions, vans etc.

Zen, thank you very much for the suggestion.

It's a great suggestion, but we're going to do you one better.

We (all of us that have made similar suggestions) are on the same page; especially Al and Cindy who have made similar requests in a broader scope for months now.

Please stay tuned, we're rolling out a new system for the site that will handle all of our articling, tips, and informational resource needs.

The forum, messaging and email is great for immediate needs, but an overall category based system for grouping information would be helpful for new visitors and people that want to do research.

Research on broad or specific items is one area that isn't so readily available through the forum; for these items, I'm sure our members offer wander through the World Wide Web; risking coming across myriads of scams and inaccurate information related to ALS. Not to mention the time lost searching through pages and pages of content that isn't related to ALS/MND.

I do hope people such as yourself, when launched, will help by contributing your knowledge for any of the sections of the new system that are empty or limited.

All members of the site, or a trusted few will have access to edit and contribute once the articling system is launched. We're still working out the details, but hopefully this will be up by 2008 or sooner.

This new articling system will be a huge team effort!

If enough people step up to contribute, I'm confident we'll have the best darn online resource for people affected by ALS anywhere on the World Wide Web!

Last edited:
David, I'm not sure if you're looking at an existing system or writing your own so I thought I'd throw this out there. I used PHPNuke for about 7 years which utilizes a system very much like what you describe. If you are developing a system it should provide a very good starting point.

Assistive technology for quadriplegic

I do not know how I ended up at this site but I read somewhere about people looking for help with assistive technology.

I have a good use of my voice and a controlled my environment from my wheelchair.

If the detail of the technology that I use are of interest to people in this forum am quite willing to share my research and experience.

Think this idea got lost in the Christmas shuffle or something. I'll have to ask David about it. Welcome Lovely writer. I assume you don't have ALS but if you have ideas for assistive devices feel free to let us know about them. By the way, you're not selling anything are you? Sorry for the question but we've had a couple of sellers join this week to post links.
AL.

Think this idea got lost in the Christmas shuffle or something. I'll have to ask David about it. Welcome Lovely writer. I assume you don't have ALS but if you have ideas for assistive devices feel free to let us know about them. By the way, you're not selling anything are you? Sorry for the question but we've had a couple of sellers join this week to post links.
AL.

First of all I am not selling anything. Because technology is so useful to me in my situation I would like to help others in the similar situation.

I am a retired teacher, quadriplegic because of MS. I use it chin controlled wheelchair (Quickie Groove) with which I get around the house and into the passenger seat of the car. I control my environment within the house with the Gewa Prog. With this I control the telephone (GewaTel) the television, VCR, DVD and a plug for the electric fire. To do all of this I have a button behind my head on the wheelchair.

I control my computer with my voice. I use Dragon NaturallySpeaking 9 for both dictation and control of the mouse. I use a Plantronics cordless headphones which gives me the freedom to move around the house.

The details of all the equipment is available on the Internet..

I have always been interested in technology but some of the equipment does take a little time to set up for any particular situation but once that is done the independence is great.

In theory, a much of these should be able to be done by the Environmental Control Unit which is part of the wheelchair and I would not need the Gewa Prog but that is not working properly yet.

I live in a small town in Kerry (Listowel) and through the Internet I am able to find out what is going on in the world. I am also able to download and read ebooks. If I can help anyone just ask. I have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back