Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lancaster
As things progress more and more gadgets are needed.

I have lost most of my muscle control to hold in bowel movements or to push them out. Is there a Portable Bidet that people use when out? If so please recommend one.

I have lost a lot of my trunk and neck strength and end up leaning/falling from side to side in my F3 Corpus power chair. Is there more support that can be added to the chair to hold me more upright?

We are in the process of buying a 2006 Toyota Sienna Handicap Van. We are have a new floor welded in as where the ramp connected to the old floor was rusted out. It has less than 90K miles on it. What else should I be looking at?

Thank you.

Pete,

For wheelchair, I have found that good lateral thoracic supports make a huge difference. The ones on my Permobil VS seat are truly wonderful. The ones on my Permobil Corpus 3G seat are OK, but not nearly as good as the ones on my VS seat. The Corpus 3G ones are made by Stealth. I have found that the wider ones are better than the narrow ones.

Also, I now use a posture support belt (AKA, a seat belt). They also make one for the thoracic area. I don't use that yet, but know I eventually will.

Changing the headrest from the stock Permobil to a stealth headrest also made a bit positive difference. It helps support my neck as well as my head.

For the van, I have read that the modifications made to lower the floor very often succumb to rust. Some conversions use better steel than others, but from what I have read, none are as good as the original Toyota steel.

So, have someone take a very careful look at all the parts involved in the modification. You may be surprised by how much rust they find.

Steve

No wisdom here Pete. Steve had the same issue but would use adult diapers. You can get waterproof backed pads to put on things but I cant suggest anything else.

Reclining your chair may help keep you in a better position. The headrest we used from permobil had a velcro strap to keep your head in place. Steve hated it. He used his seatbelt as he lost his core but there are chest straps to help you stay upright. On the seat can you use memory foam or something similar so you dont slide?

Others will have better ideas I am sure.

Pete,

I have the same wheelchair and was bouncing around in the van. Lateral supports helped. There is seat belt for the chest which I have not used yet. A soft cervical collar helps, maybe it will help you.

Kathy

Pete,
I would call the provider of your chair and tell them what you need. If they are medically necessary (we already know they are) insurance might pay for them. If not put in a grant request to Guardian Angels.

I've often thought that they could make better trunk supports out of velcro.

It sounds like you need to have an OT reassess your seating. As we progress our seating needs change, what worked before doesn't any more. I know clinic is a chore, but in this case necessary. Pressure sores really suck. As far as the bathroom goes, are you able to pick up a water bottle. They have them with bent straws.

Vincent

Is there a Portable Bidet that people use when out? If so please recommend one.

We used a hydrawand. Worked great! The caregiver needs to be equipped and handy with the various connectors, as not all faucets are the same.

Is there more support that can be added to the chair to hold me more upright?.

This is a problem we never solved completely. We found nothing "off the shelf" that worked, but we didn't give up and demanded professional OT help. This isn't an easy problem, so demand nothing less than 100% commitment from your OT to address this problem, and if they are stumped, demand a custom ortho contractor to devise a custom mechanical solution. That was our final resort, and we got a custom solution that worked pretty well (but it was not perfect).

Last edited:
Bodypoint [full disclosure: my employer] is the major postural support provider for Permobil complex wheelchair orders. Products from shoulders to feet that mount to the chair are available, including the hip and chest belts that have been mentioned. Your DME should be able to order what you need, or you can order on line. I can advise on selection if desired.

I have 2 Bodypoint seat belts of different design. I love them both!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back