Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
Does anyone know if having had childhood Epilepsy puts you at increased risk of developing ALS later in life?

Will

Never heard of that. Perhaps when the US gets its national ALS registry up and running, we'll find out these things. Does anybody know if Canada or the UK has such a registry?

Canada doesn't as yet.

AL.

I haven't heard of that connection either. I don't think that Canada has a national registry, if we do then nobody has told me about it. I have wondered a lot in the last while that the doctors don't ask enough questions about a person's past. I've answered the same basic questions to a whole bunch of different health care types but I don't know if anyone is really doing in-depth large scale studies about people's life styles and medical histories and putting all of them together to try to find patterns or connections.

I read somewhere that electricity can play a part in ALS.... epilepsy is related to electrical impulses in your brain. WHO knows?

Hopefully the ALS registry will help put the pieces of the puzzle together!

Cindy

I have epilepsy, and ALS and no one has ever said that the two were linked to one another

I have epilepsy but my brother got ALS.Any connection do you think?

I have had some episodes in the last six months that my neuros think may be seizures. To the best of my knowledge, they are not connected to ALS, but who knows ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back