Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

Hi Everyone,

I took my mother to the neurologist yesterday and I have a few more questions....If anyone could help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. I am also keeping everyone and their families in my thoughts and prayers. I just admit our neuro was very discouraging in the way he answered my questions. We have an appointment at Sunnybrook next week though where I hope to get more answers.

1) The doctor said for her to drink Ensure. When I asked about multivitamins, he said the drink would be enough of a supplement. Has anyone else been told the same thing or is drinking Ensure? Is it helping?

2) Our family doctor has never dealt with ALS and has no real knowledge of the illness. Would most of you say it is important to get a family doctor with some knowledge or experience of this illness? If so, does anyone have any recommendations for the Brampton area?

3) We asked about Lyme's testing and apparently (without telling us), she has already been tested and we are waiting for the results. Does anyone know what tests we should ask for or what they may have already done?

Thank you so much. I am really encouraged by everyone on this site and the support is amazing. We are continuing to pray daily and are optimistic.

Anne (Lily's sister)

Hi Anne,
Hope I can help a little bit with your questions. I take Ensure, but I have a feeding tube. I was losing weight before I started Ensure and it really helped keep my weight stable. But, I also take, Vitamins E, C, Beta Carotine and Creatine besides my prescirbed meds.
As to finding a family doctor familiar with ALS, that might be a problem. My ALS doctor said that a family doctor usually only sees one person with ALS during their entire practice. Another reason for us to try to keep up the awareness campaigns!
Thank you for your prayers, they are much needed and appreciated. I am looking at this disease as a PALS, but know it is very hard for a person watching a loved one with ALS.
Keep the faith, I hope this info will help a bit.
Leah

Hi Anne. I go to Dr. Cheskes in Brampton and when I was e diagnosed he knew virtually nothing about ALS. I was his first patient with it. When I registered with the ALS Society they sent him quite a bit of information regarding ALS from a Doctors standpoint. You will find it hard to find more than about 4-5 General Practicioners in Brampton that have ALS patients. Possibly you may find another half dozen in Mississauga. Not very encouraging but while they say it's not rare it does seem to be in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back