enduring well meaning friends, family, and strangers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laurel,

You're the kind of friend every PALS needs. I appreciate your sincere post. Your PALS is very fortunate.

Laurel,

You're the kind of friend every PALS needs. I appreciate your sincere post. Your PALS is very fortunate.

What a kind thing to say. Thank you Kim. I learned to reach out from my Christian good hearted neighbours. It didn't come naturally due to uncertainty about over stepping boundaries.

Sending a big hug to you Kim.

Laurel, it doesn't bother me when my close friend asks. She is someone I confide in and vent to, and she is someone who actually provides support-- she babysits my kids, brings meals, washes the dishes for me. The same with my mother and grandmother, who send me home with frozen casseroles whenever I see them.

I guess what bothers me are the people I'm not very close to, and acquaintances, who will ask and say how sorry they are, but have no intention of actually providing support. So it almost feels like a gawker effect. Like they are seeing a car accident and can't stop looking but aren't going to pull over and help. Maybe I'm being over-sensitive.

Aw yes, the gawkers. Those are the people to whom I would give the quick “I’m fine, and how are you?” That will probably end the conversation quickly and give them the sense that they made an “effort “.

Most days I feel we have been abandoned by most, embraced by a few, and everyone from strangers to coworkers are mostly afraid of us, bottom line. We are what no one ever wants to happen to them, and it’s intimidating for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back