End of life legislation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kim, the legislative discussion of this thread is very valuable info.

There’s the personal side that can be added too, maybe some will
share. That’s valuable too discussing the… End.

I’ve lived a good life, raised in a good family, got a degree (the
hard way taking more than four years), had good career jobs, lived
on the beach for years when the beach line from Clearwater Beach
down to St. Pete Beach and all the little beach communities
in between were fun. Made a good living, a little ill gotten booty too,
went to a going away party for Steve Lamb (The Smugglers Ghost)
before he went to do 27 months in prison), a beach bar, had boats
(what I miss most of Florida). Came up here and have done well too.

I have been blessed. Now it’s all memories, the good ones and a few
bad ones. Everyone has bad memories, hopefully all the good ones
dwarf the bad ones.

Now, because of my age and my diagnosis I can’t re-live any of it…
nobody can go back. You can reflect… it’s done.
Today is tomorrow. There will be a tomorrow where I will want
to be able to say…”Enough… it’s been a good run. Next.”

@Clearwater AL ,so far it seems like opposition is coming from two camps: religious groups and groups who find the idea offensive to people with disabilities. Here's an excerpt from today's AP news coverage...

"Embedded in the assisted suicide debate is a grimly veiled, ableist narrative which implies that disability is a fate worse than death,” said Lisa Beaudoin, executive director of the Able New Hampshire advocacy group.

Nancy Elliott, a former state representative from Merrimack and chairwoman of the Euthanasia Prevention Coalition USA, highlighted the bill’s language about the mental anguish, the prospect of losing independence and embarrassing indignities experienced by people with terminal illnesses.

“This sounds like a disability. Before I lost my husband, this was the description of him,” she said. “It is cruel for the state to say that someone, like my husband, should not want to live and be pushed toward suicide.”

Opponents, which included religious organizations and hospitals, also argued the legislation flies in the face of efforts to reduce the state’s suicide rate... "
Thank you for sharing this. The relationship between the ALS advocacy community and the disability advocacy community is one I am struggling to understand. The above quote was revealing.

Nona, that is outstanding and well-written. It certainly speaks for me. Thank you so much for doing this.

Nona, It breaks my heart to read the letter and it hits home hard. If this doesn't get their attention, nothing will.

Absolutely an outstanding letter. If this letter doesn't resonate with the legislature, I have no idea what will.

Wonderful and heartbreaking at the same time. ❤

Nona, you not only wrote about the facts but beautifully spoke from the heart reminding legislatures of the people's rights.

Thank you Nona - so beautifully written and honest

Nona, your letter has brought me to tears. It really comes to the heart of the matter for ALS patients. Thank you and good luck with your efforts in NH.

V

Hi Nona....love your letter. i live in NH. If that doesn’t resonate nothing will. I’ve been thinking for a few weeks now of writing a letter myself from the caregiver looking on perspective as it was something my brother and I spoke of throughout his progression. I’m not sure I could say what needs to be said as well as you did but Id like to give it a try. It’s so important for a PALS or terminally ill human being to have choices. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back