Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
MN
City
Duluth
"A revolutionary personal interface for human computer interacton.The Emotiv EPOC uses sensors to tune into electrical signals produced by the brain to detect user thoughts, feelings, and expressions. "

Emotiv | EEG System | Electroencephalography

I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of or used this device? A friend just made me aware of it and having a programming background, I hope to purchase the device as well as the software development kit.

The website shows photos of people controlling a motorized wheelchair using the device, but their app store does not seem to include any off-the-shelf solution for doing this. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with this particular device.

Thanks in advance,

I have a developer headset. Unfortunately i only used it a handful of times before I couldn't put it on by myself anymore. I didn't know that my caregiver situation would mean that it would not get put on anymore or I would not have bothered.

It was easy to get good contact with my scalp with relatively short hair. And I was able to train a few cognitive actions. It picked up the face muscle triggers easily.

I just sent an email to Emotiv to clarify what a new user needs to purchase to use this headset should I want to sell it.

It was pretty cool making the computer respond using thought only.

Thank you so very much for your response! I know it may have been quite a bit of effort for you to do reply, and I appreciate it.

I ordered the EEG headset, and the Developer SDK (software development kit) today. I am very excited to explore the possibilities of this device with my father.

wow please keep us posted of how you go with this?

The technology advances are pretty exciting. We have just moved to an iPad switch, still getting it all set up and sorted out.

Wow, i have been wondering about something like that. My eyes do not have the range of motion they did. Brian, i bet your caregiver or a friend wouldn't mind putting it on once in a while, it would be a shame to have to sell such a cool product. If i could, I'd come do it. :)

is it there yet, is it there yet?

I'm so interested to know how you go with getting it set up...

impatient

It has arrived! It took 2 weeks for the company to process my order and another 5 days to ship it from the Philippines.

Unfortunately, I am not there! It is at my house waiting for me, I am out of town on a business trip.

I return on Wed. 2/19 and hope to get it setup and start testing with my father right away. I already have the software installed on my computer and it's intriguing me. It claims to be able to detect facial movement from the brain waves alone (so it can track a smile or eye movement without actually moving the muscles). It also claims to be able to detect some personality and mood traits like happiness, uneasiness, that sort of thing.

I will report back with more details after I'm able to get it setup and use it :)

thanks dynamix, I'll try to be patient for a bit longer then :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back