Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
New York
City
New York
Can someone tell me more about emotional lability. Does it affect anxious feelings like it does sadness? Is there anything I can do to help him with it?

Hydrochlorothazide is what the wife is on and it works great.

Her extreme swings from laughing hysterically to loud bawling and wailing were extreme until she went on this prescription drug.
She has had no episodes since

I am on that drug, bowser, but not for my psuedobulbar affect... the doctor put me on it for water retention.

Can someone tell me more about emotional lability. Does it affect anxious feelings like it does sadness? Is there anything I can do to help him with it?

It typically isn't associated with anxious feelings. EL usually refers to the exaggerated laughing or crying with situations. Nuedexta works well for me too.

For me, and the way I've heard others say, medications just for EL don't really change how you feel, it just curbs the emotional response. So if the problem is depression, an antidepressant like amytripiline may work better. Likewise for anxiety, an antianxiety med may work better.

Sometimes it takes trying a few options before you find out what works best.

Depression and anxiety are different issues than true EL. They are treatable... talk to the neuro, or get a referral to a psychiatrist with an interest in neuro issues.

My dad uses the Nudexta and it's been helping.

You may want to refer to a psychiatrist for anti-depressants?
I take Lexepro which helps control my anxiety. Also "owning" or getting in touch with your fear can help get you emotionally centere...helps me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back