Emotional Lability (ha, ha, ha, sob, sob)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaphoon

Extremely helpful member
Reason
DX UMND/PLS
Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Okay, here's a question for my favorite group of folk:

Can emotional liability encompass anger as well as the crying and laughing? I don't see why not; it is an emotion, after all.

I ask this because I find myself perturbed at times and bring into use certain 4 letter words that are usually foreign to my vocabulary. I say these words without compunction, I might add, but usually when alone.

I have even gone so far as to "flip off" a driver (he was headed in the opposite direction and couldn't see me in action).

I also ask this because I am concerned for my soul if this sort of thing can be controled and I'm missing the boat, falling short of the mark, etc...

Zaphoon

I too thought it was Emotional "Liability", but its really Emotional "Lability". I have it under control with Zoloft.......

From wikipedia:

""Emotional lability" redirects here. For emotional lability as a symptom of other conditions, see mood swing.

Labile affect or pseudobulbar affect refers to the pathological expression of laughter, crying, or smiling. It is also known as emotional lability, pathological laughter and crying, emotional incontinence, or, more recently, involuntary emotional expression disorder (IEED).[1] Patients may find themselves laughing uncontrollably at something that is only moderately humorous, being unable to stop themselves for several minutes. Episodes may also be mood-incongruent: a patient might laugh uncontrollably when angry or frustrated, for example.

Labile affect is most commonly observed after brain injury, people with dementia expressing a psychosis of some sort, or degeneration in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (also known as Lou Gehrig disease), a form of motor neuron disease. It affects up to 50% of patients or up to 17,000 people, particularly those with pseudobulbar palsy.[2]It also occurs in approximately 10% of multiple sclerosis patients[3], signalling a degree of cognitive impairment. It is also currently being considered for inclusion in the DSM as one of the two symptoms (of five possible) which must be present for a diagnosis of ADHD in adults.

While not as profoundly disabling as the physical symptoms of these diseases, labile affect can have a significant impact on individuals' social functioning and their relationships with others. In motor neuron disease, the majority of patients are cognitively normal; however, the appearance of uncontrollable emotions is commonly associated with learning disabilities. This may lead to severe embarrassment and avoidance of social interactions for the patient, which in turn has an impact on their coping mechanisms and their careers.

Treatment for labile affect is usually pharmacological, using antidepressants such as fluoxetine, citalopram, or amitriptyline in low to moderate doses. In the USA, a combination of dextromethorphan and a subtherapeutic dose of quinidine has been submitted to the FDA for approval to treat emotional lability.[2]"

Kim ... it sure can. I've never had a laughing fit, but crying and anger, you bet. (Usually together) I not only let loose a few choice words that are not in my normal vocabulary (well ... not often), but I get violent sometimes, throwing things, etc. And it CAN be controlled with various meds. All the emotions are controlled in the bulbar area, as I understand it, and when one goes, they all go.

As for me, I've always considered emotion to be a liability (or is it an asset, I always mix up those accounting terms).

I have been asked about whether I have noticed emotional lability at every clinic visit and have never been able to say yes. No inappropriate or disconnected laughing or sobbing but I have noticed that if something is funny, it is really funny and when it's sad I have no trouble crying

So I don't know much about emotional lability but I do believe that anyone who is going through what makes them a part of this forum is allowed to flip out occasionally, especially when they're alone. And use bad words. I used to work as a partsman in a diesel shop with mechanics and truck drivers so there are very few four-letter words that I've not heard and/or used. Using them doesn't make you a bad person, at least not in my book.

Hi Kim,
Yes anger can be part of mood lability. And mood lability can happen as part of ones reaction to bad news such as having a probable diagnosis of PLS. You can and will experience all of the stages that Kubler-Ross talks about in her grief cycle. She isn't just talking about dying, but about greiving for what one loses. She says, into the calm of this relative paradise, a bombshell bursts...

Shock stage: Initial paralysis at hearing the bad news.
Denial stage: Trying to avoid the inevitable.
Anger stage: Frustrated outpouring of bottled-up emotion.
Bargaining stage: Seeking in vain for a way out.
Depression stage: Final realization of the inevitable.
Testing stage: Seeking realistic solutions.
Acceptance stage: Finally finding the way forward.
We're behind you every step of the way during all of this Kim. Flip all the birds that need be. My husband went through a very angry stage when diagnosed with CIDP and was having trouble with his drop foot and was having trouble with his walking. He is a sweet placid kind of guy, and I was shocked at one little incident of road rage that I observed, but I sucked back any censoring comments as I knew he needed to blow off his feelings somehow.
Laurel

Zaphoon, I've noticed that things that usually would not have upset me, do now. It is a lack of coping maybe? and easy crying, but then, when one is a middle aged woman who's to know what is hormonal.... they do ask me at the clinic visits about this, and have offered me meds, but honestly, its not a huge problem for me (although listening to the song "Mr Bojangles" sent me into a crying spell yesterday night in the car). They have told me that usually the person either gets the sad or the happy version. I really think that inappropriate laughter would be much more difficult socially. ... BTW if you lived in Jersey, flipping off drivers would probably be part of your daily drive 8)

Thank you all for sharing and caring! Sometimes I can't believe how frustrated I get. I had a thing happen today when tuning pianos. I noticed my Adams apple was bobbing up and down in sync with me pounding on the piano keys. Every time I would strike a key, my throat and right cheeck muscles would contract. My wires must be crossing somewhere.

I'm still looking for a way out of this PLS diagnosed. I'm going to drill my neuro as to why he is deciding to call this PLS and if he is giving up on any further testing (I hope not).

Have any of you experienced any of this wire crossing kind of thing?

I cfon't know about "wire crossing" per se, but I have a cross detector always noted by my neurologist, when she tests a reflex in one leg, and the other one reacts as well, (for lack of a better explanation)... not having an adam's apple, I can't really help you there :)

I know its hard when they don't want to run anymore tests, as much of a stress as having diagnostics done are, its even worse when they say, nope, nothing else left....

Kim, I had a strange thing like that going on briefly. It only happened a few times then went away. When I scratched the top left of my head, my right nostril twitched up like I was going to sneeze.

Love your new avatar!

Hang in there. The answer is out there somewhere.

Hi Zaphoon

I know what your talking about. During the last few months my finger is permantly stuck in that position. Unlike you I intend for them to see me, and hope they do. I am also hoping I dont get shot. I cant cuss cuz I cant talk, so I use sign language. Do you think I'm in an anger stage? HA HA!:twisted::twisted:

Betty, You've made my day! I just have this picture of this sweet lady with her "finger" permanently stuck in a certain position and I'm rolling on the floor!

Thanks for the lift! You are a sweetheart!

Zaphoon

For me, I have always been "emotional" :) But lately, I think I'm still in denial. I haven't "poured" my heart out to anyone in my family or friends. I have grown up with the saying"never show weakness" I have always been strong for everyone else. This is so not like me to cry about the things I cannot do or have difficulity doing. The last few weeks or so I have noticed my left arm is getting weaker. I tried to pick up a 1 ltr jar and it fell, the team will keep an eye on that as well. So knowing these things are going to happen and get worse scares the h*ll out of me. My ALS team says it's okay to take something, but I am on so many things right now I'm rethinking why!? The inevitable is going to happen anyway.

How does someone move on and accept the disease to actually be more functional in life as a whole? I read about so many people having the time of there lives and enjoying thier family and life. I cry because that is what I want. I want so many things but I feel they are so far from my reach. Maybe it's self pity, or the fact it has been 1 year since I had to leave my job, or I have been house bound for almost 1 year. I have never been SO bored in my life. I have never let my house be so dusty, things I can't reach. My family tries, so I try not to complain but it is sooo hard. I think I've seen everything I want to see on the internet...well I'm starting to ramble I'll sign off.

Micheline

So, dh, who has never had a problem disciplining our daughter, but now laughs, sometimes uncontrollably, every time he gets mad with her/at her, would that be emotional lability? Tx

Micheline,

How do we get on? Well, I, for one, do the occasional vent thing. I whimper and whine until I can't stand it or the people that are listening can't stand it then I shut up (after totally ruining everyone's day). Then, I regret ever having done the whine in the first place.

It is tough to see things get worse. There isn't anything about it that is easy. The good folk here understand it and have forgiven me of being a whiney-boy more than once.

God bless the good people of this forum!

I will whine no more. I will whine no more. (Please, somebody kick me in the pants if I do it again!)

Hi, Duplin ... So, dh, who has never had a problem disciplining our daughter, but now laughs, sometimes uncontrollably, every time he gets mad with her/at her, would that be emotional lability? Tx

If it's uncontrollable and he can't stop it voluntarily, it sure sounds like emotional lability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back