Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OHIO
City
Wickliffe
Okay I had am EMG done by a neurologist, and when he did the test my leg would jump up when he would adminster the small electrical impulse, now this is my second emg and i don't remember that happening during the 1st one I had. Then he concludes the test and says it normal, so my question is does this sound normal or abnormal for those that have had or adminstered an EMG?

If the neurologist who administered the test says it's normal, then it's normal.

Do you really think a neurologist who conducts a test like that wouldn't KNOW if it's normal or abnormal? Do you think he's guessing, or playing games? What is your reasoning here ... that your neurologist doesn't know anything about medicine, but Joe the Plumber or Jane Doe the ALS patient does?

Congratulations on a (second?) clean EMG. Have a great holiday season!

are you sure it was a emg and not nerve conduction test?
in a emg they insert a need to measure muscle activity.
in the ncv the test involves giving you electric type shocks like you described,this is to test the nerve impulses.
in my ncv i nearly jumped of the table........that was a normal response and indicates no neuropathy.

Mine was abnormal, was slow in my right leg where my problems are

Chris

If they shock you, you will jump. It's only natural. The first time you were probably scared crapless and didn't realise what was going on. First time they did me it hurt like a *****. I wasn't looking to see if my leg or arm jumped. I was only thinking, crap where are they going to zap next. Bet you were doing the same thing.

AL.

This sounds like the NCV test, not EMG. NCV responses can be slowed if the person is cold in the room during the test. Some facilities have a warming lamp that they'll put over the limb to warm it before they continue the test.

NCV is expected to be normal in people that have ALS.

... and yeah, if they shock you, you're going to jump. I told my brother (the electrical engineer) that it brought back childhood torture memories :cool:

Rose,

I guess I never really never sought an answer on this before because I was focused on the EMG, but you said that NCV is normal in people with ALS? I guess that makes sense because, if I understand correctly, NCV is checking the reactions of the peripheral nervous system.

Take care,

Robert

Update

Okay according to my last neuro (of course he thought that before the test) and VA says its psychological, but my PT says I have progressive clinical weekness, and my Prime Care doc says I have atrophy in both shoulder (that where I notice the weakness), just like my grandfather and Bruce (mother's x-boyfriend) before they where DX with Atypical ALS.

If the neurologist who administered the test says it's normal, then it's normal.

Do you really think a neurologist who conducts a test like that wouldn't KNOW if it's normal or abnormal? Do you think he's guessing, or playing games? What is your reasoning here ... that your neurologist doesn't know anything about medicine, but Joe the Plumber or Jane Doe the ALS patient does?

Congratulations on a (second?) clean EMG. Have a great holiday season!

Clean EMG and NCS is great but its frustrating because I still have atrophy and clinical progressive weakness.

Rose i too had a brother who tortured me! He is also an electrician! We could not even sit near each other growing up, now he is the best brother ever. Anyways, i never jumped with my NCV tests until my last one and the muscle part, i never jump... The only time i flinch is when they shove it in my neck! They always do it spontaneously, they say oh we will just do the arm and leg today, then at the end they say turn to your side, then jab it in my neck........ Anyways, look I KNOW where your frustration is coming from....... A + B = C and 1+1= 2 but not in neurology my friend..... If there is any sliver of doubt the docs are not going to say ALS. Because ya know what, as hard as it may seem, getting that diagnosis is more heartwrenching then the agony you are going through not knowing.. believe it or not, but its true.... Best of luck to you, Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back