Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question about EMGs, and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. does anyone know if the multiple sclerosis and the multifocal motor neuropathy r detected by the EMG? do they show -just like the ALS- positive EMGs?

Hi CW

MS can not be ALS diagnosis on EMG. That is usually ALS diagnosis with MRI.

MMN can cause a dirty EMG and yes can be ALS diagnosis from an EMG. EMG reveals features of a demyelinating polyneuropathy, limited to motor neurons. Conduction block is often present, although other features of demyelination such as temporal dispersion of waveforms and conduction slowing are also helpful.

Take care!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I do not know anything about multifocal motor neuropathy, but I do know a bit about MS, as that has come up for me in my own visits to the neurologist. EMG is not used to diagnose MS. There are a number of tests that help to make that diagnosis, including MRI of the brain and cervical spine, lumbar puncture, and evoked potential tests. Usually the MRIs are repeated over a period of time to see if any new demyelinating lesions have developed. usually there is some sensory involvement with MS, pins and needles feeling, numbness, etc.

hoping your dad gets some answers.

Sandra

thank u jewilchic and sandra! i really appreciate ur help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back