Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
Hi Guys, I just have a simple question about EMG testing in ALS.

How long before can the EMG detect ALS before weakness starts?

I had one done back in November/December of 2017 and it came out clean. This is purely out of curiosity as it mentions it detects long before weakness sets in.

I think that is unknown and unknowable. When neurologists are following something worrying a common interval is six months but that is when they have already found sone kind of issue on EMG or clinical exam ( like UMN findings in PLS)

I said it before, and I’ll say it again. A normal EMG and no evidence of muscle function failure means you do not have ALS.

In addition, it wouldn’t even matter if your EMG had some abnormalities if your motor exam was normal per a credible neurologist. EMGs are done to help rule in or out ALS on people with muscle function failure and weakness documented by a neurologist.

Unless something has changed on your neuro exam, you don’t need to be here.

My EMG was dirty long before there was clinical weakness.

I looked at your past threads. ALS has been ruled out.

Seeking an answer

Hi All,

I still don't quite know whats wrong,

I've done an EMG back in Nov/Dec 2017 and It was clean (Check post history)

but I've noticed that i'm starting to have patterns of weakness. It seems that I have periods of weakness and then periods where I feel fine. 4 Weeks ago it was mainly affecting my finger dexterity. Zipping up items and Writing felt very clumsy. I also felt like I need to use a lot of force to press buttons. I feel like I got my finger dexterity back but now the weakness has moved to my feet where I feel like im constantly going to fall (I feel like im rocking). I'm not dizzy or nauseous. Just feel like my feet have a hard time keeping me standing straight. I also can't seem to walk straight for a while where i would slowly start moving to the left or the right in a zig zag pattern. I can stand on my toes and move around and I also can stand on my heels and move around with no issues. I've been having fasciculations for over a year and it's been worse specifically in the last couple of months.

I know it might not be ALS simply due to the nature of the weakness coming and going.

But I'm worried about the fact that it might be another type of MND or maybe even MMN.

Notes:
Physical Neuro Exam was Clean (Oct 2017)
Did an MRI for MS - Clean (May 2018)
EMG (Feet, Calves, Thigh, Fingers, Forearm) - Clean (Nov/Dec 2017)
Blood Test - Elevated CK levels (March 2018)

Mod note: Merged threads. SH, please continue posting in your already open thread.
Readers, past threads here:
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/39443-extremely-worried.html
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/41418-emg-results-little-worrisome-blood-work.html

The folks here are unable to help you diagnose yourself or provide online general health consultation. This is a forum for those with ALS/MND. Anything where you improve is not MND. That's a really excellent sign. Please do continue working with your doctors, as they can examine you in person and direct your medical care.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back