EMG Testing question for Wright/anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband's Neuro used a heat lamp to warm his limbs. The EMG took a real long time because he kept getting cold. The Neuro told us it was necessary to keep warm during the procedure which is hard to do when you half "nekkid!"

Fortunately that Neuro was very compassionate and very thorough.

Don't forget Al, "Cold hands, warm heart." As me ma used to say. Peg

I have to correct my post above:

the heat lamp was used for the nerve conduction study not he EMG. i remember this because the Neuro told my husband there was no "damage" to his nerves after the process, to which my husband replied "GREAT!"

I had to tell him no honey that is not good, wish it was some sort of damage (might could be repaired).

CJ is spot on, the nerve conduction study requires your body to be at a different warmer temperature, the nerve conduction is a touchy(no Pun) test, it can pick up construction going on outside, other electrcal sounds etc.. They know how to decipher between the two. But if you are cold, the tech or neruro, (either can do this test), will sometimes not be able to get a accurate reading. They take about three readings, and then get a baseline. Normal nerve test's in ALS, sometimes in LATE ALS the Motor neurons might get a little funny, but that would be long after the emg would have picked something up. As we all are aware the needle part is the ALS part, ALS is both nerves and muscles involved, so this test shows how the signals are being sent, and the strength of the muscles being tested. It is a very sensitive test. Hoping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back