Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Merseyside
City
Liverpool
Hi - new here.
Had an emg recently as part of a neuro workup including mri and evoked potentials.
I’ve had fasciculations quite widespread for 2 years now.
These were seen on the EMG and recorded at 2points.
Question I have - forgot and didn’t ask the neuro this and apologies as I don’t think it’s in the sticky: given that the EMG recorded fasciculation but not anything else does that mean that the twitches are considered benign - ie has it effectively “proved” this to be the case?
I realise that twitches are non-specific for als/mind.
Thank you.

Twitches are considered benign when not accompanied by anything else. I.e. no weakness, and none of the other ALS indicative signs on an EMG. If your neuro was concerned, he/she would have said something. 70% of people twitch. That's how meaningless twitching is.

That's excellent news for you.

Take care

Agree.

They look for fibrillations and positive sharp waves. There's a saying, it's not fasciculations, but the company they keep (meaning fibrillations and PSWs).

THanks for the informative replies.
The doctor made no diagnosis- I had a clear brain mri, EMG showing fascs at 2 points as mentioned above.
Having read the sticky— I see a long list of other conditions that people who’ve been in this sub-forum wind up getting diagnosed with. Does anyone have a feeling for what would be most likely for someone who’s twitched widespread for 2 years and has a degree of muscle pain (legs, elbow, forearms)?
I gues after 2 years it’s just a case of “get on with it”.

Sounds like benign fasciculation syndrome. There's also a condition called Benign cramp/fasiculation syndrome but your pain sounds like something other than cramps.

Yes, I agree, after 2 years, you really do need to forget ALS.

The pain can also be something entirely separate from the twitches. Things such as fibromyalgia come to mind.

Best wishes,

Bulbar symptoms

Hi - posted here last week.

I am noticing sometimes in the past couple of weeks becoming slightly more “shrill” with “sh” or soft “c” sounds. I am single, so no partner to make comment on speech.
Had an emg a couple of months back which found fascs at 3 points (but not the tongue) out of 9 points tested. No other EMG findings; rest was normal. 2+ years twitching and pains/stiffness, but no speech issues - real or perceived - until now.
Attached a picture of my tongue which shows a bit of scalloping down the right side of the tongue (left side when viewed in the photo). Also throat is feeling more dry, and voice feels more tired.
Would these symptoms be worth a return visit to the neuro?
Thanks

Attachments

• 5F3858BA-AAFB-476A-B1F3-C161B275FC57.jpg
    5F3858BA-AAFB-476A-B1F3-C161B275FC57.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 170
mod note: merged threads. Please continue posting in your original thread to make sure all your history is in one place and the members here can read it easily. Please also read the pinned posts at the top of the DIHALS subforum to make sure you are aware of forum posting rules.

Re: Bulbar symptoms

Winter-to-spring can be drying. Try a saline spray and drink liquids more regularly. Nerves can also worsen feelings of dryness.

What you describe doesn't add to any concern about MND. Given your history, not much will. I would consider approaches such as massage, hot tubs, Tai Chi, ballet, Pilates and other "stretch what's twitching" activities. Not to mention nature walks to see flowers in bloom.

I'm not being flip, just that you seem like you're chasing something none of us wanted to find. As you said, "get on with it" is going to be our best advice, with the proviso that you can feel better with some of the approaches above, if you adopt the mindset that you want to feel better, full stop.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back