h2906

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
Hi,

Firstly thank you to anyone that reads and responds to my question. I appreciate it more than you know.

I recently had an EMG after experiencing the following symptoms:
- right sided ‘perceived weakness’ in arm and leg
- stiffness in my right thenar muscle
- intermittent twitching
- static sensations in my fingertips (sometimes)
- just general heavy, dull achy sensations that get worse the more I use my right side

This has been going on for the past 4 months. I have also had an MRI and blood test, that came back normal. Then physical exams, carried out by two different neurologists and they both said everything was normal.

Nevertheless, I have allowed the thought of potentially having ALS to enter my life and take away every ounce of joy (which I am currently waiting to speak to a health psychologist about).
So needless to say, I am picking apart my EMG results, googling certain terminology ‘polyphasic units’ being one of them. Therefore, I wondered whether anyone could advise me on whether any of the numeric data or the summery at the bottom have any connections to ALS. Or even whether they could point to something more common. I had an MRI of my spine today - so I’m hoping that can give me some answers too.

I have attached my EMG report below and as I said before, any information to help ease my worries would be so appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_9424.jpeg
    IMG_9424.jpeg
    415.7 KB · Views: 158
Nothing to suggest ALS at all. Some polyphasic units are common and normal. I am glad you are getting help. Mr google os very dangerous

You had a normal emg/ ncs so it is helpful in telling you what your symptoms are not It is up to your doctors to tell you what is still in their differential

There is mention of neck-tongue syndrome as a possibility. PT with a therapist with headache disorder expertise for further evaluation may be helpful. Sometimes neck pain cascades to other parts of the body and can lead to hypervigilance that can be perceived as stiffness and/or achiness.

Thank you so much for your reassuring reply Nikki! I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. That’s the thing, it’s just getting my neurologist to keep exploring reasons for what’s going on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back