Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
SC
I am a 33 year old male with progressive weakness and tingling that started in my shoulders and arms about 10 months ago. During the last 6 months I have noticed weakness in both legs as well as severe tightness in quads and lower leg that does not resolve with any stretching or walking. Balance has been getting worse for the past few months as well. Most of my muscles feel EXTREMELY fatigued after low usage. My cell phone feels heavy and lite tasks feel very exhausting. I had an EMG of my left arm in nov 2020 that came back normal. I just had the EMG of my legs completed because my leg weakness seems to be getting worse. I don't really understand the results and after following up with my neuro and telling him I already had my back MRI this year without any findings, he cancelled the MRI and said "come back in 3 months"

So he pretty much said lets see how you feel in 3 months... he offered no other tests, ideas anything really. He did say you are a big strong person so clinical weakness is very hard to determine.

Everything I see is that my symptoms should not be taken lightly and I have definitely concerned with MND.

I am not really sure what to do. Should I get a second opinion on the EMG? Or a 2nd EMG?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 302
  • 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 292
  • 3.PNG
    3.PNG
    101.9 KB · Views: 291
I do not think anyone would look at the emg and tell you anything different. If you do not trust your current doctor then seek a second opinion ( assuming this is not already a second opinion?). Otherwise follow up in 3 months seems reasonable and there is value in letting the same person follow you so they can see any changes from their baseline exam

I hope you can let go your fears and work openly with your doctors. I wouldn't think ALS from your description of symptoms and your EMG is really a great result. Maybe ask your doctor in 3 months time what they think is the next path.

This is the first and only opinion I have received. I am considering getting a second opinion and EMG. My weakness has become an issue in my daily life and the EMG result seems very vague and confusing to me. Chronic neuropathic changes were listed but when I asked about other possible causes, I didn't receive any other possibilities. I appreciate the responses. I am having a hard time with anxiety about this and I feel like I received no direction or interpretation of the results other than my back which has already been reviewed.

We see similar results quite often here. They don’t seem to come to anything and often resolve if the emg is repeated in 6 months or so. Apparently some old injury that heals itself in those cases

as I said a second opinion isn’t unreasonable but don’t discount the value of a consistent provider. If your second opinion concurs pick one doctor and stick with them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back