Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
Hi guys,

i have posted here before and people have been a great help. I have a few questions, hopefully someone could shed some light and advice.

my symptoms to this day:
all over muscle twitches, myoclonic jerks
action tremors in arms, legs, shoulders, neck...could be weakness?
current GERD and biting tongue, saliva production, scalloped tongue, jaw stiffness/soreness
some sensory issues like pain in muscles and tingling feelings

I had my first emg which was a concentric needle emg off my left upper and lower limbs that found definite large amplitude units seen suggestive of some mild chronic denervation and the neurologist said further muscle sampling should be done. this may have been a single fibre emg, i am not sure.

my second emg months later as a follow up was a quantitave emg on my right upper and lower limbs and some upper left limb sampling and it was a clean emg and no denervation, only found one fasic in my right deltoid. neurologist wanted a second opinion from someone he trusted in the emg field.

3rd emg done a few months later was done again on right side upper and lowee limbs and was completely clean.

My question is, is quantitive emg different to single fibre? is there a difference in the testing as all 3 emg's seemed to be done the same to me. Would the last 2 emgs mean i am clean? or should i be trying to follow up the suggested findings on my emg? i am sincerely confused.

as far my neuro clinical exams they have all been deemed as normal, however my action tremors have been seen and noted but it was stated that it was not indicative of mnd signs on clinical exam.

any advice at all would be helpful. Hopefully wright may have some insight on the emg readings and thoughts.

Hi,

I think single fiber emg are thought to be more sensitive. I believe they are mostly done for MG not ALS. Did your doctor mention MG (Myasthenia Gravis?) I honestly would speak to your neuro and tell them you are confused since your first EMG showed some denervation. I think it is a good thing your other two were normal though. Also, good that your clinical were normal with both your neuros too. With a good clinical exam and emg they cannot diagnose as ALS, that much I know. I have some of the same symptoms you do and my EMG was also normal...

Hello,

Mild denervation may occur with some neuropathies as well as with pinched nerves.
That single fiber EMG you underwent is way more sensitive than other EMGs.
But, you also said that other subsequent EMGs performed on you came up clean.
Furthermore, your clinical exam was normal.

All this points away from ALS which should be good news for you.
However, as you said, you may wanna contact "Wright" by PM with your EMGs results as he's an expert on that field and can help you interpret the results of them.

Hope this helps.

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back