Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
I would like to thank the members here for all you do answering our questions. I have read many posts here and haven't come across one that answers my questions.
Ibegan with twitching that started in my left calf(which has persisted). I have twitching in my arms, abdomen, back, even tongue. Most of the time it is very fast twitches, sometimes slower bigger ones. I have had twitching in the past so when this started again in Jan I didn't really get too alarmed. I actually went to a neuro because the twitches were pretty persistent and to try to figure out what may be the cause. I also have sometimes tired muscles, sometimes burning in my arms which from reading here I know wouldn't be related to ALS. When I went to a neuro and aside from the twitching and brisk reflexes everything else was normal. I had an EMG done in April which was clean so the neuro it is likely BFS and said we will just watch things. The twitching has become more localized to my left calf, everyday I have some amount of twitching there. I still get twitching all over as well. It will be say in my right bicep and persist for a couple days then stop in that area along with random twitching in other areas. What really worried me was the tongue twitching which has been going on, on and off since Jan. So because of my concern and feeling that the twitching was getting worse and more localized at my last visit I asked to repeat the EMG in Oct. I went to the same doctor who did my first EMG. All he does is EMGs. He tested my one arm and both legs and stopped stating the test didn't need to go on any further, he didn't test any bulbar muscles, which I thought to rule out ALS that was needed. Anyway everything was normal this time except for he found PSW +1 is my Cervical Paraspinal muscle. He said might be radiculopathy so I had an MRI to check for radiculopathy. The MRI was negative. I do admit there are times that I do feel numbness and tingling in the area where those muscles are and my upper back. The doctor that did my EMGs didn't feel that is ALS at all but likely my Neuros original diagnosis of BFS. I don't have a neuro appointment until Nov 20th. I am worried that given that I have brisk reflexes all this muscle twitching and now a PSW on EMG that something is really wrong. I thought that with BFS there shouldn't be any PSW at all? My EMG didn't even show the twitching that I am feeling, in fact even my neuro hasn't seen it in the office. Everything else including strength is normal. I would guess that in 6 months if it were ALS there would be more abnormalities on EMG? I just wanted to get an opinion from the very knowledgeable people here. I would also like to mention I am a 37 year old female.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back