Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
TR
State
ankara
City
ankara
First of all i want to express how much i respect all of the PALS and CALS in this forum. Thank you all very much for being very helpful and supportive to many people.

I am 22 years old, female and no relative (as far as i am concerned) with a diagnosis of ALS. I have noticed atrophy in my left thigh about 2 months ago but it might even be older as i usually won't examine how my thighs look each day. I haven't done anything about it as i haven't experienced any accompanying symptoms. However, 3 weeks ago i noticed twitching at the back of my left thigh which lasted over a day (but disappeared after my EMG was done) accompanied with muscle thightness and mild aching pain which got worse the other week (to the point i was not able to fall asleep). I have been to a neurologist and had an EMG. My EMG report indicates that NO DENERVATION is observed but there were neurological involvements (I am not sure if it is exactly the right translation as my examination was made by a Turkish doctor), but my neuro also said that my EMG findings were "mild" and appointed me for another EMG for 3 weeks later. My MRI indicated i have L4-5 mildly bulging discs and decreased disc signality at L4-5 but my neuro said that those bulges are not likely to cause a "pinched nerve". I have no weakness and no brisk reflexes accompanied with the atrophy. Also the area where i observed atrophy was viewed by an ultrasound and showed indications of fat tissue atrophy rather than muscle tissue. Twitching still occurs but more like sudden feelings on various parts o my bodies (but especially in my legs) and i never felt twitching on the area which took me to a neurologist. Also i have been experiencing random weird twitching like sensarions on my right hand and electric like feeling on both of my hands while trying to fall asleep accompanied with stubborn pins and needles in both of my hands. My neuro said she does not think i have ALS but it is not a case you are 100% ruled out of ALS and free to go. She still wants to see me 6 months later.

My question is, is it likely that my neurological involvement showed up in my EMG can turn into a denervation? Is this why she is not able to fully tell i do not have ALS?

Thank you all for your support.

I don't see any reason to worry about ALS. Many of your symptoms, the aching pain, pins and needles, and electric-like feeling actually point AWAY from ALS.

Some doctors just won't rule out anything. See her again, like she said, in six months.

Twitching can be anything, or nothing at all. They are so common that they are not diagnostic of anything.

To answer your question: Yes, anything is possible, but I see no reason to worry about ALS.

Mike thank you very much!

How about the EMG? Is it a clean EMG or something more complex is going on? As far as i understood the EMG should have catch some denervation since atrophy occured?

Thanks a lot!

Great news is that ALS isn't even remotely on the table for you.

We only discuss ALS here, so go back and sit down and discuss your results with your doctor and ask what is next. All the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back