Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
philadelphia
just a question I was wondering if anyone could answer and I will ask my doctor this the next time I see him.

Does an Emg differentiate between ALS nerve deterioration and muscle loss from lack of eating and not working out? I have been sick for about a month and a half and during the time I have had no appetite. This has caused me to lose about 20 lbs and I haven't been working out. I have had constant twitching in my calves and forearms, which has come on strong in the past week.

Any answers would be helpful and as I said I will make sure to ask my doctor this next week.

sorry if this is a dumb question, it is just something I am wondering

Absolutely it does. It looks at the electrical activity in the muscles. It doesn't care about weight loss.

You should be seeing a doctor sooner rather than later if you're too sick to eat and have lost 20 lbs. You don't need an EMG--you need NUTRITION.

yeah I know I have started trying to force down food today, the thing that has brought me here and wondering about getting an EMG was the stiffness and tight feeling in my forearms, calves, and right wrist and the twitches that are happening in those areas

It's not up to you to decide what tests you need, that's your doctors job. He's trained to do a good clinical examination and then decide what tests are required depending on his assessment. If you front up to a doctor and demand certain tests from the " get go", you will quickly be diagnosed as " crazy".

Lack of nutrition is probably making whatever is going on with you worse... At least start taking some vitamins until you see the doc. Good luck!

The entire body needs nutrition--including the muscles. Your stiffness could well be due to lack of a particular nutrient. SEE A DOCTOR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back