Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
City
Vaelncia
Hi everyone. Thank you so much for this forum. I hope the below is ok to ask. If it isn't, I'll take no offense if the post is best to be deleted. I did read the sticky post at the top, and thought this might still be ok to ask.

Long story short, after having right-sided symptoms for about a year, my neurologist has recently put ALS on the table and has ordered an EMG (this after he had suspected MS but MRIs came back mostly clear, at least for lesions). EMG is scheduled for next week. I am keeping a positive outlook and not trying to let my mind wander towards, quite frankly, frightening thoughts. At the same time I want to prepare myself just in case the diagnosis ended up being ALS -- if only to be strong for my wife and other loved ones if that happens.

My questions is (again, hoping this is ok to ask), how did others here prepare themselves mentally for the test and the results? I've found myself practicing telling people good news and bad news, almost so that either way I'm ready for it. That may sound silly, or maybe it's common? I'm thrown for a bit of a loop.

Thank you very much in advance for any replies. I wish you all the very best.

I suppose everyone is different In one way I was completely prepared. I have genetic ALS so I knew it would happen sometime. On the other hand I didn’t think my mild and early symptoms were “it”. I remember being a little anxious before the emg and trying to keep physically active. Worrying never helps much as you know. If you practiced telling people already maybe tell yourself you are as ready as can be and plan an amazing weekend with your wife

That is great advice. That is exactly what I will do. Thank you so much. All my best to you

Fingers crossed and good nerves to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back