EMG possibly for Radiculopathy but MRI negative?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristen1983

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
City
Avis
Hello my name is Kristen I am 36 and I just have a couple questions for you guys. I have been trying to get some answers googling but find so much scary confusing conflicting information and really no answers. I have an appointment scheduled to see my neuro in Sept. I have browsed your forum and see that you have this space for people like myself to ask to questions. Basically I have widespread muscle twitching, even in my tongue. I also sometimes abdominal cramping/spasms that feel like charlie horses but not terrible painful, like if I bend down or turn to the left or right I will get them, kinda sometimes feels like a side stitch in my rib area. I have some muscle twitching on the side of the palm of my hands where my pinky is that I can actually induce if I flex the muscle then relax, it will twitch. I also have burning feelings in my forearms and upper arms as well, mostly when I am using them or raise them above my head. I do have some pain on the tip of my left shoulder and a little neck discomfort. I also have this crunching sound in my neck when I turn side to side. I have been seeing a neuro and have bilateral brisk/hyperreflexes in all limbs(no clonus), no babinski reflex, no weakness that she can find and I can still do everything. I do find myself scuffing my feet on the ground sometimes when walking if that makes sense. I haven't fallen or tripped. I drop things sometimes but I can still open things and button buttons. I was concerned for these symptoms so the neuro sent me for an EMG, mostly for reassurance since I don't have weakness. They only did three limbs and that was it. The EMG found 1 mild abnormality and suggested it could be Cervical Radiculopathy. The DR who did the EMG said that the muscle twitching is likely to be BFS since I have had it on and off since I was a teenager. So the neuro sent me for a Cervial MRI, because I was concerned about the +1 PSW, which the MRI really didn't find any nerve compression. So I am a little worried and have just a couple questions for you guys. I will also post my test results for your information. I am only going to post the EMG part, the nerve part was normal.

1. Is it possible that I could still have Cervical Radiculopathy and a negative MRI?
2. Is +1 PSW in 1 muscle something to be concerned with? Should I have another EMG in a few months?
3. I have read of Bulbar ALS, and yet they did not test those muscles, is the three limbs enough to rule out ALS?
4. Are there any other tests that you guys know of that I should ask for at this point?

At this point I have been told I don't have ALS by the Dr who did the EMG, but I am still just a little worried because of the PSW in the Cervical Paraspinals and now the negative MRI for nerve compression. I also want to note that the time between EMG and MRI was almost 2 months so can spinal nerve issues just heal on their own and that is why there is no nerve compression now but maybe there was? I just have read many times over that PSW means Dennervation and that means ALS or a nerve compression/injury. But if I don't have nerve compression then what could possible cause PSW if it wouldn't be ALS? I Thank you in advance for any feedback given.

EMG Results

nn5q2v.jpg

Cervical MRI results

EXAM: (SMR 7024) SMR MRI C SPINE WO CONTRAST CDM#: 43310182 DATE AND TIME EXAM COMPLETED: Jul 25 2019 12:37PM CPT: 72141 REASON FOR EXAM: ********* CLINICAL HISTORY: Left neck pain with left upper extremity radiculopathy. PROCEDURE: Noncontrast MRI of the cervical spine consisting of axial PD and T2 sequences and sagittal T1, T2 and STIR sequences. COMPARISON: None available. INTERPRETATION: The cervical spine is in normal alignment in the sagittal plane.
The vertebral body heights are preserved without evidence of compression fracture. There is no vertebral marrow edema or evidence of a focal marrow lesion. The cervical cord is uniform is thickness and signal intensity.
At C2-C3, there is no disc herniation, and no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.
At C3-C4, there is no disc herniation, and no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.
At C4-C5, minimal disc osteophyte complex without central canal or neural foraminal stenosis.
At C5-C6, there is no disc herniation, and no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.
At C6-C7, there is no disc herniation, and no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.
At C7-T1, there is no disc herniation, and no spinal canal or neural foraminal narrowing.
IMPRESSION: 1) Minimal spondylosis at C4-C5 without spinal compromise.
2) Detailed description as noted above.
DICTATED: 07/25/2019 12:52 PM LOC: Read By: RALPH PINCHINAT ******Results Electronically Verified****** Transcribed by: RP Transcribed Date: 201907251258

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back