Other
Country
US
State
NA
City
Na
Hi Everyone,

Well, the day for my EMG is approaching (Wednesday) and I am more nervous than I thought I would be. I am not afraid of needles...that is no big deal for me.

I think there is a part of me that simply does NOT want to know! Does that sound weird? If my EMG comes back clean I will be elated, but honestly, with the symptoms I have I am preparing for the worst (but hoping for the best). I have both lower and upper motor neuron signs with progessive weakness and atrophy.

I did not think I would be this nervous. I have been through so much medical crap (Gulf War studies...numerous hospitalizations...etc) that the medical stuff does not bother me. However, the idea of actually getting a diagnosis has finally sunk in and i am suddenly terrified. I did not expect to be so scared. I was just thinking of it as one more test along the road toward a diagnosis.

I know they won't give me any official results on Wednesday, but I will have a good idea what is going on as they test me.

I am still waiting for the results of genetic testing for sporadic ataxia and Melas. My other possible differential diagnosis is Neurmyotonia or ALS.

I am guessing the EMG and muscle biopsy will narrow things down.

Anyway, I just needed to vent a bit. This long road to a diagnosis can be a bit frustrating and scary!

Ellie

Hi Ellie!

I would ask you not to go to the EMG appt alone. If the EMG is conclusive enough with all of the other tests and look-sees you've already had, why wouldn't the docs be able to give a diagnosis right after EMG? The results are immediate. My last EMG was normal and the doc looked up and said, "You don't have ALS." However, because I, too am showing upper and lower motor neuron activity (brisk reflexes, weakness, fasciculations, etc), they are seeing me at 3 month intervals to see what comes and goes away.

Anyway, be prepared for a diagnosis just in case and have someone with you for moral support and an additional set of ears. Good luck!:)

All I can say is good luck and keep us posted.

This long road to a diagnosis can be a bit frustrating and scary! Ellie

I was the same way before my second EMG, and it totally surprised me. I don't think I got more than an hour's sleep the night before, despite taking a sleeping pill. But once I was actually there and all the activity started, it seemed to get better and I calmed down.

Best of luck!
BethU

I had my 4th EMG done on July 28th. The Dr. let me know the results as soon as he got through with it. The EMG test is not that bad, just more annoying than anything else. I'm scheduled for a muscle biopsy and spinal tap on the 26th of this month that I'm more leary of than the EMG test I had. Good luck with your test Ellie and may God bless you.

Ellie,
I wish you the best on Wed. Keep us posted.

Keep the faith,
brenda

Dear Ellie....I wish you the best and have you in my prayers!

take care
lovelily

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all the support. I am feeling better about it. I had an EMG before but this is the first time they will be doing several different limbs and muscles.

I will keep you all posted.

Ellie

Last edited:
Ellie,
Good luck with your EMG ! I am getting one next Friday and I have been in a panic since I scheduled it.
I guess because my symptoms have gotten much worse. I have had many Emg's and like you are not afraid of needles. It is one test that does not bother me it's the results.

Ellie,

Zaphoon is 100% correct you should bring somebody along for moral support and to take notes. (Somebody you don't mind flashing your undies to!)

You sound like you're already well researched.

Good luck on your test. Praying that all is normal.

Keep the faith,
-Tom

Good luck Ellie. We're all hoping for the best.

AL.

Hi Ellie,

I wish you the best! I know EXACTLY how you feel about wanting the results and not wanting them. I was eager (believe it or not for my muscle biopsy) but I am terrified to see my neuro on the 27th. If she even says denervation, I will faint....get the smelling salts! I have gotten alot worse in the past month. I have repeat emg in sept and I am nervous about that as well. We all fear this, but with a no diagnosed it still gives out hope. Or hope that it is so slow progressing you cant detect yet.

I wish you well.....and your right, I am sure that alot of folk go to U of M. I researched and Wayne state had gotten a million dollar grant to the als center. Anther pal on here goes to the same docter as me (what a small world)

best wishes,

april

Tom,

Thanks for the info on the EMG stuff. I read it once before but it was good to review it. Honestly, I think I have way too much information right now.:)

I should probably just take my IPOD, listen to positive affirmations and zone out until they need me to move something (easier said than done).

April, good luck with your test results.

I will post tomorrow night if I get any news.

Ellie

Dear Ellie....Just wanted to say that I am thinking of you, today!

take care
lovelily

Tom,

Thanks for the info on the EMG stuff. I read it once before but it was good to review it. Honestly, I think I have way too much information right now.:)

I should probably just take my IPOD, listen to positive affirmations and zone out until they need me to move something (easier said than done).

April, good luck with your test results.

I will post tomorrow night if I get any news.

Ellie

Ellie, I know what you mean, until this past month (due to reading on here) I didn't know much about EMG's, especially about when the needle makes sound that it has any significance. Honestly, it might be a good idea to bring and use your iPod. You'll be laying there for a while anyway, and they should do that other test (NCV), and it seems like it takes even longer than the EMG! Lay there and "zone" if you can, (although, IMHO a little classic rock might do more to make you forget what's going on than soothing stuff LOL)

The very best of luck to you, you have many friends here that will be thinking of you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back