Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WI
27yo female.

I've been twitching for 8 years and within the past 7 months began having some rapidly progressing weakness- trouble typing, walking, atrophy in knee. I'm scared.

Had an EMG/NCS a few days ago along L side- where I am feeling most of the weakness.

It didn't seem like she pricked too many muscles but narrated to me through the process what was going on.

I don't have the report yet- but the neurologist doing the test said everything looked completely normal in both the EMG and NCS part and nothing pointed to any evidence of MND.

I'm usually twitching all day- but I don't think any twitching was captured on the test.

If I had denervation would the EMG/NCS catch it at this point? Does it matter that we only tested muscles on my left side?

I asked my neuro if we could please order an EMG for the right side too and she refused. I don't know why but it makes me uncomfortable.

Please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

In people with ALS, denervation changes are typically widespread, so it is not necessary to do EMG on many muscles. Even if only a couple muscles are tested and come out normal, that is sufficient. So it doesn’t matter that she only tested muscles on the left side.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure which you have not described.

Your story doesn’t sound like ALS anyway.

You’re good to go. No ALS. You’re in the wrong place here. Congratulations.

Thank you so much for replying so quickly. I have many quickly progressing symptoms I am worried about that are very close to ALS.

I was also diagnosed with POTS a few weeks ago- and read that it is often caused by denervation. Along with this progressing weakness, my twitching and other symptoms I got scared that I may have had this the entire time to the point where it was the mnd denervation that has caused my POTS.

I wanted to have faith that if that were truly the case- the denervation would be apparent on the EMG - but I've only been having the muscle weakness & POTS symptoms for about 7 months now.

I want to feel confident in the EMG/ NCS results- but of course, I look on the internet and it says EMGs miss MND all the time if done too early, incorrectly, or on not enough limbs.

With these symptoms, I really want an answer- so I can at least prepare for the future or have peace of mind.

Thanks again, I appreciate it so very much.

Thanks for the reassurance. I don't know what information to believe amongst the countless forums, studies etc. the information regarding the accuracy of EMGs is overwhelming and has been a lot to mull over and hard to determine the falsities from the actual truth.

It sounds like I can trust the EMG in light of my symptoms, then? I am so confused about why I have these symptoms, why they are progressing so quickly and why my MDs can find no answers.

I just so badly want to know what the heck is going on so I know what route to pursue medically, what future choices to make.

Thank you so much.

Believe your doctors. If we can’t reassure you of that and your doctors can’t reassure you, then you have a severe anxiety problem. This is not an anxiety forum. Please seek appropriate help from your doctors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back