Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly mean no disrespect.

I have been scouring this site with old posts related to emg results and more than once it is mentioned that large muap (duration and size) with reduced recruitment that is combined with spontaneous activity does not point to good things. The fact I only have 1 muscle showing normal interference pattern just scared me. Well, scares me - as it still does.

You are right that it isn't sensible nor productive - unfortantely the urge for reassurance is really not making it easy for me and knowing there is a lot of experience on this board, I posted. So I'd like to leave it with a heartfelt thank you for having answered my questions.

What spontaneous activity did you have? Fasciculations don't count. Where were the fibs and psws?

I guess that's where my ignorance shows again than - I was under the impression all 3 were considered equal.

Either way, I didn't mean to start poking - I really never meant to be a pest.

Please trust your doctor. They really know what they are doing. A little learning is a dangerous thing as they say. The internet and pubmed can be great but if you are not medically educated you have to be very very careful. Good luck now and have a long healthy life.

I have tried to resist the urge to post again but 2 days ago, I noticed my tongue trembling and quivering when I stick it out. When at rest in my mouth it seems perfectly still but when I extend it at all it has the look of waves and wurms - quite dramatic. If at rest it is fine, is that a good sign?

I continue to twitch in all other place but i am trying to ignore it.

This is specifically addressed in the sticky Read before posting

An EMG that points to possible ALS (only possible, it cannot alone diagnose it) is chronic and active denervation, generally in at least three muscle groups in the body. This is sometimes but not always accompanied by short wave abnormalities. If your EMG is negative for ALS, you don't have it, end of subject. You see, the test cannot positively diagnose ALS, but it CAN rule it out.

Very few EMG's I think are 100% normal. If you did one on my right arm/hand right now you would probably get an "off" result from the carpel tunnel I have had for thirty years - bad enough to leave some nerve AND muscle damage.

The stickies are great on tongue twitches, so more reasons you don't have ALS. Do yourself a big favor and be happy and put that fear to rest. I wish we could, but it's our reality and here to stay. Waste no time please on imaginary ALS. None of knows how much time we have and stealing your own joy is just plain a crime.

Teedot, those of us that do have ALS are sick of reading your dribble and concerns about some imaginary sickness. Go any.

Last edited:
I got my report back.

It describes long duration MUAP in 6/8 muscles tested, high amplitudes in most, reduced recruitment and incomplete inference pattern in 2/8. Only 1 muscle showed normal and the paraspinal was as well. There were fascilaitions in 2 muscles.

That is 33 days ago and for the past 5 days, I have been trouble using my hand. I fumble wiping my son's nose, I can't control my mouse well at work and my hand and wrist are stiff.

Wouldn't the MUAP, amplitude and recruitment show denervation in more then one spot and doesn't facs count for the same as affiliations? I am just having such a hard time letting go of this. I have been on sertraline and doing CBT twice weekly - I am doing all that is being suggested and I feel no one is taking this serious.

I truly don't mean to bother people, I am just so, so terrified.

Attachments

• EMG.docx
    323.7 KB · Views: 263
No, fasciculations do not count the same as fibs and psws. I already told you that. The saying is: it is not fasciculations but the company they keep. That EMG does not show ALS.

If you have new symptoms that worry you see the doctor.

Last edited:
I did.

He says it's my anxiety manifesting. He won't even send me for an MRI as he believes it will only feed my anxiety.

Would I be able to detect weakness from that EMG until now (33 days)?

Oh my gosh. You are beginning to wear out your welcome. You won't believe your doctor who has actually examined you or test results that clear you of ALS and you are asking strangers on the internet to disagree with your doc. Listen to your doc but you absolutely, positively, decidedly MUST move on from this site. It is not healthy for you to be here. Get your anxiety under control. That can be treated!

Why do you want to continue to waste precious time here? You do know that this disease is fatal right? Do you really think any of us should be spending time reading and replying to you? If so, it shows just how much anxiety had taken over your life.

If you set your fear of ALS or any disease aside and let yourself be helped with your anxiety...I am positive you wont regret it.

You are so lucky to be alive and ALS free. Anxiety can be managed. First thing you must do is say to yourself " do I really want to live with the fear of dying ". You have children who deserve better. Take the time you spend trying to convince yourself that you have a fatal disease and spend it with your children. If you don't you will wake up one day and wonder where your life went to. You are not going to die of ALS and everyonw knows that but you.

Get off here and seek help. Leave everyone here alone. As they read you throwing away your life...it breaks their heart. I would certainly wish my husband only had anxiety. He would certainly take care of it.

I really don't want to be a pest to people.

Since the beginning of last month I have been taking sertraline (SSRI) and beta blockers for anxiety with CBT therapy I basically feel like a walking pharmacy but the fear is not dissipating. This thumb/wrist stiffness has really accelerated my fears again and I am struggling to keep it together.

Having said that, my intention has never been to upset anyone here, you have been nothing but helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back