EMG in a couple of days, should I be worried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasha122

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
RU
State
MO
City
Moscow
Hello people, I hope your day is okay. I'm really sorry to take your time - I know how hard it is to fight with the ALS, my friend's mother died from it a couple of years ago. It was really hard, but she was really brave and optimistic. Anyways, from around 3 months I started to notice worrying symptoms, I had some spinal issues, but as a neurologist said - it can't be reason of your all symptoms. I'm 21 years old, no family history of genetic diseases including familial ALS, young man from Russia. It started about 3 months ago. My left hand started to expirience paresis a couple of times - at this time everyone suspected and told me that it is caused by GAD. So I was patiently taking anti-anxiety prescribed medicines. But my hand was generally getting weak from week to week. I was somewhat painful etc. Then my proximal muscles started to atrophy - obviously I thought it's my anxiety paranoia again, but unfortunately thanks to measuring my neurologist detected a shrinkage of my muscle mass in a short period of time (around 2 months). A had some burning pain etc. Again they told me it's proably becouse of anxiety. Then they detected atrophy on both of my hands, forearms and proximal muscles. It was just so strange, becouse I wasnt been weak nor expirienced failure of for example my hands (which are really atrophied). Just a mild weakness on the whole body, trouble with swallowing and excessive saliva. I still can lift my foot, raise my arms with no problem after 3 months. I have really mixed feelings. Should I worry going to the EMG? The most important question for me is - should I've expirienced a failure after 3 months? Or it's normal that weakness just affect most of your limbs, and progressivly lead to failure in one of them?

If your doctor confirmed atrophy it does seem as if something is going on. The whole description doesn’tsound like ALs though. EMGs can find many things including things that are treatable and most things they find are much better than ALS. No way to tell you whether the emg will show anything but you can hope it gives you an answer that can be helped

please let us know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back