Country
CA
State
QC
City
Quebec
EMG in 12 hours

Hello all,

I can’t sleep as my EMG is coming up, along with my first neuro appointment. A little background.

This winter I started having some worrisome symptoms. Talked to my pcp and she told me to exercise, do squats and lunges, etc…

My symptoms:

One day, I was walking up the stairs from the laundry room and my right leg suddenly felt quite weak. I thought nothing of it, it’s probably from going up and down the stairs.

That day, as I lay down, there was a constant vibration in that same right leg. It felt like my whole thigh muscle was vibrating. This vibration went on for a couple months and was there 24/7, then it moved down to my lower right leg, then my foot. After the first couple months, then my left leg started having the same vibration, then it moved up to my pelvis, etc…

After all this, I started having fasciculations in my legs. They were always worse after I went on a walk or after any sort of physical movement, but were there regardless of physical activity.

Went back to my doctor. She ordered vitamin D and magnesium test. Lo and behold, I am vitamin D deficient and my magnesium is borderline. So I start on high dose Vit D and also taking magnesium.

Unfortunately that didn’t stop progression of symptoms. So after 5 or 6 weeks or taking the supplements, I went back to my clinic last week, but I got to see another doctor, as my pcp wasn’t in that day.

He was IMMEDIATELY alarmed. He told me that vitamin D deficiency shouldn’t cause these symptoms and sent in an URGENT request for EMG and to see a neurologist. That is the appointment I have tomorrow (today really, it’s 1am)

Back to my symptoms:

As the weeks went by, the fasiculations moved up my body. I get them on my chin, cheeks, eyelid and under eye and other parts like bum, legs, back. They happen all day long.

I get weird vibrations on my tongue, similar to what I had with my legs, but those only last a few seconds at a time.

My arms (biceps) started doing something that looks like fasciculations, but it’s different. It slower and the whole muscle group seems to move. It typically happens after I pick up my baby or an object, even if it’s not heavy. Also happens with my cheeks after I yawn or smile.

I’m trying not to lose it, but you guys, I’m losing it. This whole time I was hoping that my PCP was right and that it was simply due to deficiency.

I’m scared

(I wanted to add, about 2 years ago the right side of my face started feeling numb, but pcp told me it was probably a little bout of bells palsy, due to so viral infection I had and that the fact I was pregnant at the time made my immune system weaker and more susceptible to this type of things). I don’t know if that’s related to what’s happening, just thought I’d add it.

Thank you all for reading my long boring story.

The issues you describe may or may not relate primarily to nutritional deficiencies (that usually ride together and aren't always seen in blood tests). And the nutritional deficiencies may or may not signal some other kind of problem, or just a mediocre diet. But what you describe -- widespread, fast dissemination, no objective impairment, doesn't ring alarm bells for ALS, for me.

Get some sleep. Tomorrow you will know more.

Igelb, thank you for your reply.

I had my neuro appointment. He was very thorough and kind.

After the technician gave me the shocks on my right leg, I went to the doctor’s office where he did another test with a needle on my left leg.

He did notice a very noticeable difference in the size of my right vs left leg. The EMG however did not reveal anything sinister.

He does think my symptoms warrant further investigation. He said even though it could he simply metabolic, he thinks an MRI of the spine is important at this point. So that will be the next step in my journey.

Thank you again for taking precious time out of your day to answer and put me at ease.

I wish you a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back