Country
IT
State
IT
City
Milan
Hello everyone.
I finally had my EMG.

Muscles tested were muscles of the four limbs.
I have a doubt. I forgot to say to the neuro who made the EMG that I see some alterations in the thenar muscles of the left hand, so the only hand muscle tested (left and right) was the first dorsal interosseous (which I see as a normal and not atrophied muscle).
Muscles examined were normal and OK.

But...My question is... is it possible that this EMG could have missed ALS just because the thenar muscles were not examined?!
I am very frustrated because I forgot to tell the neurologist about the thenar muscles and now i'm afraid that this could mean that wrong muscles have been examined and so that the EMG could have missed ALS.

No it would have picked up changes in the other areas as well. You need to lose around 70% of innervation before the muscles fail. If you had ALS the person doing the emg would have seen denervation/renervation somewhere. Not having seen any, you are free to go.
Vincent

Thank you for your reply, Vincent. Are you absolutely sure of this?
My question may seem a bit stupid, but I am really scared since months and this situation is very frustrating, because I keep on telling myself that I have been so much stupid forgetting to tell the neuro to EMG also my thenar muscles. I have been waiting so much time for this EMG and now I have the feeling that everything has been "thrown away" because I forgot to tell the neuro to EMG also thenar side.

Yes, Vincent is sure, as am I. Dude, you don't have ALS regardless of the EMG missing your thenar muscle. Let it go...let it go. Time to move on and enjoy your good health that any PALS here would be forever grateful for. Maybe you should try to be grateful for your good health, as well.

Gorbos, those of us living with ALS are consumed by it. We are experts. We know our sh!t. If you’re not believing what we tell you, then there’s no need for you to be here.

Don't misunderstand me, please.
I absolutely believe you and I surely would never disrespect anyone. It's just that I am really concerned because it's been for months that I have strange feeling and something looking like "atrophy" at the thenar muscles of left hand. So I am just trying to understand if you are absolutely sure of this, because in the "read before posting" session I read this:

"Another EMG question that is frequently asked is if I have ALS in one location but the EMG was done elsewhere in my body would it still show? The answer is maybe"

This is really making me doubt about the "reliability" of an emg which didn't examine one hand muscle which I am concerned about.

So please don't take my concerns as an action of disrespect, because they absolutely are not

The answer is maybe because if you have early ALS starting in your left foot the emg of your right hand might look ok. You had an emg that included muscles in the limb you are worrying about. Yes it would have showed ALS is a disease of widespread denervation You are good to go

EMG’s pick up chronic and active denervation in the most amazing ways in ALS, often with short wave abnormalities. My husband had drop foot, left side. Mayyyybe the wee touch of weakness in the left hand, though that was debatable at the time of the original EMG.

Low and behold, the EMG basically showed florid abnormality in both legs, both feet, his chest, his back, and both hands. All that with symptoms contained to left foot only.

I read about an unfortunate test subject for an EMG study in healthy people who learned he was highly suspicious for ALS through his first test results. He had no symptoms whatsoever,

Point is, EMG finds it.

You are totally good to go, lucky you.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies.
One more question - and then I promise I will stop asking things.
I have noticed right now a difference in the first dorsal interossei of the two hands, like if the left one is "missing" in one point, compared to the right one.
I think it would be impossible, from one week to another, that a muscle begins getting atrophied with a clean emg (emg done on Monday 7th january, so Monday of the past week)... you people confirm that it would be impossible?

- I can realise this fear of mine is quite stupid, and maybe I am being really a stupid person fearing that this could be the beginning of an atrophy. But really I am being quite irrational in this period of my life, so please don'the take this question as a lack of respect from me. I would never disrespect anyone, believe me. I'm just a bit scared and maybe irrational in this period.
I promise that after this question I will go away. Thanks again.

Last edited:
You do not have ALS; when in the world will that sink in? Your irrationality is no one's problem here. You're obviously letting this obsession with ALS rule your thinking and your life. Please do not bring these issues here anymore. It's best to bring your unfounded fears to a therapist and try to get help.

Good luck, take care and goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back