Learn about ALS
Country
Uni
State
Arkansas
City
Little rock
Hi everyone,

I posted a couple of months back about having a year of symptoms including left side weakness, limp, fasciculations (primarily in left arm), and grabbing things differently with my left hand. I have had blood tests and two MRIs which have both come back normal. I have an appt scheduled for later this month for an EMG and the wait is having me anxious.

I have a few questions regarding symptoms as well as what to expect...

1. Has anyone with Als had symptoms develop on one side in both limbs (left arm and leg) at the same time?

2. Does anyone have muscles soreness after working out on affected side? (After a workout, my right side will feel fine the next day, but my muscles on my left side are very sore) making my limp more pronounced.

3. What will the emg feel like and what should I make sure to ask the neurologist? I really hope to find some answers as after over a year of symptoms I am getting frustrated and anxious.

Usually one small area starts and it spreads in that area before moving on. For example right hand spreads into arm then maybe other hand or right leg next.

I don’t get sore ( can’t workout but if I do too much I don’t get sore just even less functional)

Don’t use lotion before the emg. It hurts more. You likely will also have an ncs which is like electric shocks. I hate that part more than the emg. The needles for the emg to me are mildly uncomfortable. Once in a while they hit a sensitive spot and make you jump. The better able you are to relax the better.

If this is your neurologist the only questions I can think of after would be what does it show and what does that mean. And what now?

If this is not your doctor you can ask what it shows. Sometimes the protocol is they won’t/ can’t say in which case ask when your doctor will have the results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back