00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
Chicago
Hello,
I am 50 years old and for over a year I had left leg weakness and have had a difficult time walking at times. I finally had an EMG done on my left leg about 2 months ago.
The needle EMG examination was performed in 5 muscles. It was normal in 4 muscle(s): L. Tibialis anterior, L. Peroneus longus, L. Tensor fasciae latae, L. Lumbar paraspinals (low). The study was abnormal in 1 muscle(s), with the following distribution: The L. Gastrocnemius (Medial head) had abnormal spontaneous activity.

Now, a month later, I am starting to have weakness and twitching in my left arm and hand. The MD that did my EMG said he didn't "think" I should be worried about ALS.
The NCS/EMG findings of the left lower extremity revealed a findings suggestive of a chronic left tibial neuropathy affecting the Gastrocs (less likely S1 radiculopathy given no other muscle involvement).  
Should I completely stop worrying about ALS with this EMG?

Thanks for any thoughts.​

Sensory NCS

Nerve / Sites
Rec. Site
Onset Lat
Peak Lat
NP Amp
PP Amp
Segments
Distance
Velocity
ms
ms
µV
µV
cm
m/s
L Sural - Ankle (Calf)
   Calf​
Ankle​
3.28​
3.80​
8.5​
1.4​
Calf - Ankle​
14​
43​
   Ref.​
≤4.20​
≥5.0​
≥5.0​
Ref.​
Motor NCS​

Nerve / Sites
Muscle
Latency
Ref.
Amplitude
Ref.
Amp %
Duration
Segments
Distance
Lat Diff
Velocity
Ref.
ms
ms
mV
mV
%
ms
cm
ms
m/s
m/s
L Peroneal - AH
   Ankle​
AH​
5.31​
≤6.00​
4.5​
≥3.0​
100​
6.25​
Ankle - AH​
8​
   Pop fossa​
AH​
11.98​
5.0​
110​
7.29​
Pop fossa - Ankle​
31​
6.67​
47​
≥39​
   Ankle​
ADQP​
13.91​
4.9​
108​
7.45​
Ankle - Pop fossa​
8​
1.93​
42​
L Tibial - AH
   Ankle​
AH​
4.17​
≤6.00​
13.2​
≥3.0​
100​
6.93​
Ankle - AH​
10​
   Pop fossa​
AH​
13.49​
10.0​
75.6​
8.28​
Pop fossa - Ankle​
41​
9.32​
44​
≥39​

EMG Summary Table
Spontaneous
MUAP
Recruitment
Muscle
Nerve
Roots
IA
Fib
PSW
Fasc
H.F.
Amp
Dur.
PPP
Pattern
L. Tibialis anterior
Deep peroneal (Fibular)​
L4-L5​
N​
None​
None​
None​
None​
N​
N​
N​
N​
L. Gastrocnemius (Medial head)
Tibial​
S1-S2​
N​
None​
1+​
None​
CRDs​
N​
N​
N​
N​
L. Peroneus longus
Perineal​
L5-S1​
N​
None​
None​
None​
None​
N​
N​
N​
N​
L. Tensor fasciae latae
Superior gluteal​
L4-S1​
N​
None​
None​
None​
None​
N​
N​
N​
N​
L. Lumbar paraspinals (low)
-​
N​
None​
None​
None​
None​
N​
N​
N​
N​

ACWebBlobService.ashx

ACWebBlobService.ashx

ACWebBlobService.ashx

If it were ALS the emg should have showed more - both in that muscle and the surrounding ones as well as tge paraspinals.

have you been examined since the hand symptom? Whenever you were last examined were there findings of clinical weakness, abnormal reflexes or spasticity at least in the affected area?

depending on the credentials of the original doctor you may want a second opinion but just going by the emg that did not show ALS

He said I had weakness in my left leg. He didn’t say clinical weakness but I guess I don’t know the difference between the two.
after reading some of these posts, I’m also having a lot of tingling and numbness, and occasional pain which I think makes ALS less likely?
I appreciate you answering my post.

Tingling and numbness do point away from ALS. Work with your neurologist.
Usually widespread activity is evident on EMGs even before weakness and yours doesn't show it at this time.

Are you saying that the EMG done in my left leg would have shown widespread ALS activity and even caught weakness in my left arm and hand?
Thanks for answering.

Yes. Not "caught" weakness as such but the hallmark of ALS is certain abnormalities in all or most muscles tested. ALS is not the picture on this EMG.

Thanks for all your help! The doctor that did my EMG said he would do an EMG on my hand/arm but after hearing what you all have said, it sounds like it would be a waste of money and time.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back