00/0000
Country
US
State
FL
City
Tampa
Hello,
I had an emg and nerve test done about 4 weeks ago. The neuro doctor seemed to believe the twitching was not ALS but after looking at his notes he referenced a denervation finding which sounds a lot scarier. I was hoping if any one would you would me figure out what the results mean.

Since my emg I now have been feeling an inner fasciculation sensation on my left calf. ( the doctor found the denervation on the right)

It feels like blood gushing down for about 5 seconds and then it stops. It’s been doing that now for a week. Attached are my EMG and nerve conduction tests. Thank you,
god bless.

Attachments

• IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3899.JPG
    IMG_3899.JPG
    388.8 KB · Views: 246
That EMG is completely normal except for one fibrillation and fasciculation in one muscle (gastrocnemius). That finding does not suggest ALS. In ALS, there would be widespread evidence of denervation and reinnervation, and you would see mention of things like positive sharp waves, increased insertional activity, decreased recruitment, and fibrillations in many, many muscles.

The one small finding on your EMG is mild and nonspecific.

Twitching is common, nonspecific, and meaningless in the absence of muscle function failure.

Thank you Karen for the reassuring comment. So one can see a fibrillation and not be a positive sharp wave? I thought the mention of fib meant the same.

So one can see a fibrillation and not be a positive sharp wave?

It would only be a problem if they were present in many muscle areas.

Hello Karen, or any one else that can contribute.

My new symptom is in my left lower limb. I have been feeling a throbbing sensation feeling deep within my calf area muscle. It feels like it grabs/pulls it and it lets go. It’s been doing this for 5 straight days now non stop. Every minute it does it last for about 10 or so seconds. Then waits one minute and back again.

Is this a feeling of denervation?

Throughout my last 5 months of fascics all over this is now a new symptom which is freaking me out. I have been putting ice and heat, stretching the muscle, and it doesn’t go away. I made an appointment with neuro for Wednesday. It’ll take awhile for him to schedule an emg.

I have been feeling a throbbing sensation feeling deep within my calf area muscle. It feels like it grabs/pulls it and it lets go.

That’s probably a mechanical problem; not a symptom of ALS..

Is this a feeling of denervation?

No. Denervation doesn’t have a feeling.

The symptom may improve with physical therapy or massage. It could also get better on its own. Glad you’re seeing your doctor soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back