Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NY
City
Port Washington
Hi all: I want to thank the people on this forum for being a helpful resource especially as most are going through difficult times.

I am a 35 year old male. In the last month or so I had noticed some muscle twitching. It comes and goes in basically all limbs and buttocks but pretty infrequent- a handful a day.

To put my mind at ease I saw a neuro. Strength was normal and I could perform the various tests. He then did an EMG and NCS on all four limbs.

The EMG was normal on all four limbs. The NCS did show a low CMAP velocity primarily in the left wrist area though there could be some more mild carpal tunnel on right side as
well according to him. I hadn’t really noticed any issues except, oddly enough, I woke up with some pain in my left wrist the morning of the test when bending it a certain way (which I really haven’t had before).

The doctor is not concerned based on the EMG results as it relates to ALS, but wants to do an MRI to figure out cause of the NCS issue. He thinks carpal tunnel and pinched nerve are possibilities.

My question for the group: are normal needle EMGs in all limbs plus normal strength enough that I should no longer be thinking of ALS regardless of the NCS finding. I know low CMAP is one marker of the disease so this is now what’s keeping me up at night. Thanks for your input in advance.

Normal EMG plus normal strength = no ALS.
You don’t need to be here.

Thanks Karen. Sometimes EMG and NCV seem to be used interchangeably and so I just wanted to confirm that you guys are referring to the needle EMG when you say things like "normal EMG".

I have made a donation to this forum in honor of all who are fighting this terrible disease. I realize I have major health anxiety issues and don't want to be a burden here. I am seeking help for that.

Read this very carefully

You have been clearly told no ALS. EMG and NCS are done together. Abnormal NCS has nothing to do with ALS. That is where you showed something that they are investigating. Any more questions need to be asked of the doctors that are examining you and reading your test results. You have been definitely cleared of ALS, this is great news!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back